Author Topic: o gradys of kilmovee  (Read 3323 times)

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
o gradys of kilmovee
« on: Thursday 27 December 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
My g.g grandmother was kate o grady.She married edmund kelly and eventually lived in churchfield house in knock.Her fathers name i think was james o grady ,Her sister was cecelia and her brother was dr francis o grady who was gp in swinford from 1870 to 1910.the griffith val. has  the following o gradys listed--james barcull, john glentavraun, martin kilmore, michael barcoll ,michael carrabeg,patrick barcoll, patrick glentavran.Iwas wondering if any of these families were related.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: o gradys of kilmovee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I suppose the only way to find out is through parish records and perhaps land records  - unless of course hopefully someone reads your message who is related  :)

You say you think her father was James. Did Edmund and Kate marry in 1861? The marriage certificate my have her father's name.

I see there is some information elsewhere on the internet re the Kelly family and reference to the O'Grady family - perhaps from yourself?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samsuttle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Ed,
I am descended from Michael O'Grady, Master of the Workhouse in Swinford, who died in 1847. His brother, Richard O'Grady of Carrabeg was the coroner of Mayo from about 1840 to his death in 1867.
Dr James O'Grady of Swinford, I believe was their brother.
My Great Grandfather married a daughter of Michael O'Grady and he wrote an account of his family genealogy in several letters to his son written in 1906. The following extract relates to your branch of the family.
"Dr James O’Grady married one of the Harkins of Swinford contrary to the wish of his people. Dr O’Grady of Swinford is the son of this marriage and he had two brothers, Michl. and John, both of whom are now dead. He had also two sisters, Mrs. Edmund Kelly of Churchfield, Knock, Ballyhaunis, and Miss “Sissie” O’Grady who lives with Mrs. Kelly and never married. There are three brothers in this Kelly Family who are second cousins of yours. Dr O’Grady of Swinford who is first cousin of your Mama has no children, so that the young Kelly are the only people of that family of the present generation".
Regards to my 4th cousin(maybe)

Sam

Offline edkelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 September 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you Sam. This is fantastic as I was despairing of getting any reply. I would love you to look at the o gradys on the Dublin county page and also "Dr Luke Kelly" on the Roscommon page to let you see my efforts to discover my family . I had a James o Grady apothacery  living in aughamore in 1820.I presume this is the Dr James o grady mentioned as living in Swinford. I would love any other info you might have. interestingly I grew up in Swinford and never knew any of this  family history until recently.I now live and work in Dublin.Thanks so much.I had come across references about Michael o Grady and the workhouse in local history publications.