Author Topic: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone  (Read 37036 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Just found that Eliza Mary signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912.
www.proni.gov.uk
got to Ulster Covenant
click on search the Covenant
put Eliza Mary Hamilton in the name boxes
in the address box put
Milford Armagh
You can view her actual signature
Sorry, I can't help with the DED but I am sure some kind soul will.
PRONI will send you a photocopy of the 1901 census
Probably the address Milford,Kennedies,Armagh would find them.
Just send them an email and they will eventually reply.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
D.E.D. = District Electoral Division

PRONI has help sheet to explain about 1901 census here:
www.proni.gov.uk/your_family_tree_series_-_02_-_1901_census.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosemary Joan

Isn't it exciting to see their actual signatures! I have found several family member's signatures on the Declaration and Covenant.

Thanks again
J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's really spooky to see the signature of relations long dead and who you never met.
We have my husband's grandfather's original copy of the Covenant signed by him.  It's old and brown and printed on thick parchment.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help determine which of the following LDS films I should order in for Milford, (Kennedies) Lisnadill? The PRONI census PDF didn't help. If I remember correctly, i need to refer to a booklet onsite, which I can't since i am in  Canada.

I did send a request to PRONI in February but have not heard anything yet.

Thanks
J

Lisnadill Films listed from earlier posting:

1901 DED 5/2-16, 17C, 18-22  808502 item 2
1901 DED 10/4-6,  808504 item 3
1901 DED 15/1-12,  808506 item 2
1901 DED 22/10-13,  808509
1901 DED 27/12-14,  808513
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Hamiltonhunt,
I visited the Irish & Local Studies library today in Armagh and i have found your relatives on the 1901 Census of Ireland under Milford. There were only 6 households under Kennedies but none of them Hamilton. However there was 101 households in Milford and one of them was your relations but only two of their children were recorded. The others must have left home by this date. The writing is difficult to decipher but the details on the form were as follow:-

No. on Form B _25__ Form completed 31st March 1901

John Hamilton, Head of House, Presbyterian, Age 63 ?65, School Teacher, Married, Born County Tyrone.

Eliza Mary Hamilton, Wife, Presbyterian, Age 64, Housekeeper, married, Born County Donegal.

William Hamilton, Son, Presbyterian, Age 30, School Teacher, Married, Born County Armagh.

Elizabeth D Hamilton, Presbyterian, Daughter, Age 27, School Teacher, Not married, Born County Armagh.

Minnie ? Shields, Servant, Roman Catholic, Age ?24, General Servant Domestic, Not married, Born County Armagh.     

If you have any further queries perhaps you could contact the library i mentioned above. You can email them as follow

IrishandLocalStudies.SELB[at]librariesni.org.uk

They mentioned having a catalogue of National Schools in Ireland. Perhaps you could get further information about your family from this if the dates correspond. Also if you would like the 1901 Census print out of your relatives you could send me your postal address via a PM (Private Message) and i will send it to you.
Meantime happy family tree hunting.

Norh (In Armagh)

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Norh! I am so glad to know John and Eliza Mary's birthplaces.

I have been stuck at this point for a while. Had suspected Tyrone for John but had no idea for Eliza Mary so can narrow my search. Eliza's father's was Thomas LEVINGSTON/LIVINGSTON, teacher, so will ask Irish Local Studies about him as well. There seems to be a trend in the family....

I was surprised to see my ggf, William's name since he left in 1892 for Penang, Straits Settlements. He taught there until 1926, except for a stint during the war. Not sure why he was in Ireland at that point.

His sister, Katherine Agnes HAMILTON would be married to William John TODD in 1901, likely still in Milford. I understand she lived there, for most, if not all of her life.

A brother, Samuel HAMILTON's residence is listed as Keady, Armagh on a Ship's Passenger List in 1907 so he may show up on the 1901 Census there.

I am anxiously waiting for the Armagh 1911 Census to be released. The other sister on the census you found, Elizabeth D HAMILTON would be married to George Robert SMYTH/SMITH then, probably living in Milford or Portadown.

Thanks again and yes, I would really appreciate the printout, I will send you a PM with my address.

J.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 June 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
Another family member, John George LIVINGSTONE, may show up in Armagh in 1901, possibly in Portadown.

He and a Jane ECCLES show up at John & Eliza Mary's wedding as witnesses, he may be Eliza's brother/uncle? A possible John George, Merchant and Emigration Agent died in Portadown in 1902. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of my electronic reference files which probably indicated my source. Am trying to recover those files.

J

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 June 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
So, Eliza Mary was born in Co. Donegal.  I see Thomas Levingston in the Parish of Convoy in Griffiths Valuation.  RosemaryJoan