Author Topic: Malvern Convalescent home  (Read 52534 times)

Offline Wildlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malvern Convalescent home
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 June 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes this photo of the building was ex -summerfield school for the deaf before closed down and changed into flats. It worcester Road, Malvern.

My good friends used to go to this school years ago.

Wildlady

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 June 09 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Noting my first post can you confirm if the photo's I later took was a home for sick children in circa 1952, before it was deaf school? The name 'Summerfield' is known in B'ham health care services.

Ray

Offline Wildlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

it was Jo's post message that she used to work at summerfield school for the deaf. I went there with my friends and took the photo of ex-summerfield school for the deaf white building.  I have got information about the old building that I have contacted Worcester Record Office and they send me information about it, I think. So I will have a look in my paperwork and I will let u know about it. I not sure if it about the sick children in the old building.
let you know.

Wildlady

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Wildlady,

Thank you. On my visit there I spoke to the cleaner and she said one of the tenants used to work at the deaf school and can recall pigs at bottom of garden (Now the site of new houses) which there was when I was there.

By the way the cleaner said quite a few deaf folks come for a look around the place.

Once again thanks and look forward to any information you may have.

Ray

Offline jo_46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 June 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi ray
I am not sure when the principal Bill Eulenkamp and his wife ( who was known to the pupils as Miss rutter)  opened the school, but my husband was a pupil there in the early 1960s.  I worked as a childcare assistant and can remember its interior very well.  The basement had a cloakroom where the children left their coats and shoes ( they wore plimsoles in the house)  There was also a hall where they could play indoor games.   On the first floor there was the kitchen and a small dining room across the hall.  On the second floor the rooms were split into colours  ie Pink room, green room etc.  These were large rooms where the boarders did their prep. Its possible they were originally wards and had been divided into these seperate rooms.  The next floor was at ground level to the front of the building.  It had a reception room, an office and a large dining room with a dumb waiter.  Stairs to the next floor led to the boys dormatories and a very old fashioned bathroom, which housed 2 small baths and 3 or 4 washbasins.  Once again it is possible there was originally 1 or 2 wards which had been seperated into bedrooms. There was the principals lounge and bedrooms on the next floor.  The Girls floor was very similar with the top floor being seperated into small rooms for the older girls.  One of the cleaners lived in a small cottage at the back of the school which had been the hospital morgue :(
I am not sure if I am right, but i have a vague idea that it may have taken wounded soldiers during the war.
Not sure if this has helped at all.

Jo

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 June 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Firstly apologies for not getting back to you sooner, one of those life busy times.

Thanks for the detailed description and although it casts some doubt if it was the right place even that helps as I may need to look at abodes close by. But my gut tells me it's the right place. Unfortunately unlike you I can't back  that up with memories as childhood recollections are scant at best. I do remember well not wanting to go home, grass, trees, pigs, chickens, clean comfortable bed, good food, pocket money to spend at shop on the bend didn't compare with life in the slums (OK I'll stop before the violin starts playing) On a more serious note a scant memory trying to find the correct place of happy times is somewhat frustrating.  I also recall sleeping in what seemed the loft and lessons in the building but where?

I'm not asking you do this, just your opinion, do you feel Kelly's of that area in circa 1952/53 (I'm told I was 7 at the time) would state what the building and those close by were being used for?

Thanks again for your help

Ray

Offline Ray77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
A bit late into this but I spent a month there as child in about 1955. The photo of St.Cuthbert's looks more like it, but I too thought it was much larger. The one thing I do remember about it, that has not been mentioned, is that it had an outside swimming pool. I was there in the winter and it was frozen over.

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Ray77 and welcome to rootschat  :)

It's amazing how many people on here are connected to St Cuthberts and Summerfield.

Well I think I can clear a few things up as I have just managed to refer to a 1950 Kellys...

141 Worcester Road, Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund, The Hugh Sumner Convalescent Home for Children. Matron Miss E Pearce

177 Worcester Road, Birmingham Children's Hospital Annex, St Cuthberts. Sister in Charge Miss C McGhie SRN

AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wildlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 September 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
I have got the newspaper about the hospital which I asked at Worcesster Record Office and they send me a copy of the newspaper

Wild lady