Author Topic: Thomas McKenzie Clyne, Sutherlandshire 15 October 1792  (Read 4741 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McKenzie Clyne, Sutherlandshire 15 October 1792
« on: Sunday 05 August 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all:

I am trying to find the parents of Thomas McKenzie.  He was born 15 October 1792.  I suspect it is William McKenzie and Margaret Gilchrist based on parish records (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VQQT-9DD).  However I have been absolutely unlucky at going back any further.  I really have no clue where to go from here.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McKenzie Clyne, Sutherlandshire 15 October 1792
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi.

What evidence do you have that your Thomas is the one bpt `5 Oct 1792 in Clyne?

Was yours the one married to Catherine Fraser? An Army Pensioner?

If so, Thomas was indeed the son of William McKenzie, a crofter at Dromie in the parish of Clyne, who died before 1820, and his wife/widow Margaret Gilchrist, who died 01 Apr 1857 at East Clyne. Thomas was the informant of his mother's death.

Margaret Gilchrist was the daughter of Hector Gilchrist, farmer and Ann Grant, b. c 1773.

If this is indeed your Thomas, I have some further info on his family.

Regards

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott

Sorry, have just read on and found your other post on Thomas McKenzie, and it appears we are speaking about the same chappie!

Come back to me if you still want furhter info on his family.

Ellen
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 01:29 BST (UK) »
Ellen:

Based on the baptism records, I think my Thomas McKenzie was born 29 August 1793 Tranent, East Lothian, and died before 1841.  He married Catherine Edington on 28 April 1814.  His son was Alexander McKenzie b. 1815 and died 1891 and married Margaret Hay.  Thomas is my 4th Great Grandfather. 

Based on the statutory death record of his son Alexander, his parents were Thomas McKenzie and Catherine Edington.  Based on BMD records from SP I am very positive that I have the right person.  I think that the Thomas MacKenzie, in Clyne Sutherland was a bad mis-step.  It was what most of the people on ancestry.com had indicated was the father of Thomas.  But with the parish baptism, marriage and death, tied with the statutory records, I think I have it right.

That isn't saying I haven't screwed it up big time.  I am not absolutely sure I have the right Alexander McKenzie and Margaret Hay, which would then cast doubt on the the rest of the line. 

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Scott aka KB0FHP