Author Topic: Monaghan Workhouse records  (Read 34730 times)

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan Workhouse records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know this can not confirm that it is your Mary as Martin is a common surname but the dates do tie in.

Mary Jane Martin baptised 14/03/1834, Clones, Monaghan Ireland.
Father Joseph Martin
Mother Margaret Guthrie

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 13:30 BST (UK) »
There are plenty of Martin families in Monaghan so finding your particular one won't be easy. Religion would at least cut down possibilities...

Does her marriage or death cert give any further information?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys!

She was definitely Catholic.

One of her marriage certificates gives her father's name as Michael, but she played fast and loose with the truth - on the same certificate she gives her age as 32 when she was close to 40.  But she was marrying a 26 year old so it's not surprising that she fudged her age a bit!

I have ascertained that the Monaghan County Library holds the minute books for the Carrickmacross Workhouse, but at present these books are away being repaired, copied and rebound, so it will be some time before they have them back.  I will keep checking with the Library and when the books return I will see if I can beg, persuade or coerce someone in to having a look at it for me!

The very helpful Catriona from the Library also told me that  the Castleblayney Workhouse minute books are in the Monaghan County Museum, but as for the Clones & Monaghan Town Workhouse minute books,  their whereabouts are unknown.

So my next e-stop is the County Museum!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 08:45 BST (UK) »
Whilst the name Martin is very common in Co Monaghan they are mainly concentrated in the south of the county and based on GV there are about as many within the Union of Carrickmacross as all the other Unions put together, so that is the best place to start.

Catriona at Monaghan library is about the most helpful person I have come across in twenty years of research so you are in good hands.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 July 10 03:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks JT.  Fingers crossed that when the Carrickmacross records are returned there is some mention of her.  And yes, thumbs up to Catriona!

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi posters,

Sadly, there was no note in the Workhouse record of the names of the girls sent to South Australia on the Roman Emperor.  Catriona did tell me that:

".... the minutes for June and July (contain a) reference to 14 girls from the Carrickmacross Workhouse being sent to Australia, but unfortunately it does not name them, it just mentions things such as clothes and boxes being purchased for each of them, what time they have to be in Dublin to catch the boat to Plymouth and then onto Australia."

BUT,  I was wondering if anyone could check the records for me (assuming they are accessible to the public) to see if there is anything like an admissions register that lists the names of people admitted to the Workhouse?

My great-great greandmother Mary Martin would have been admitted prior to June 1848, when she was about 14).

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks so much.

Offline sue42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 June 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
hi iam from castleblayney..and i  work at st mary hospital. what was the work house..i will try and find out for you from the hospital where you could obtain the imformation you are looking for..you mention carrick ,clones ...well carick is a good 15km from blayney...do you know if you g/mother had family left here in blayney?

Offline Ferrington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 July 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, thanks for responding.  No,s adly I do not know if Mary left any family behind when she came to Australia.

I can't imagine working in what used to be the Workhouse!

Offline noseyjosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
I went to Monaghan County Library but the only workhouse records for Castleblaney were meetings and expenses.My grandmother had given birth in the workhouse in 1887 . I was hoping to find out if there was a record of when she entered and left but there were no lists of people that I could see.I'd love to be proved wrong!