Author Topic: Lundy of Co. Monaghan  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Dramagal27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lundy of Co. Monaghan
« on: Saturday 05 April 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
My earliest relative to Canada (SW Ont.) was a Francis Lundy (b. 1788) with his wife, Nancy Oliver (b. 1789). They arrived in 1823 from Co. Monaghan, Ireland. I know nothing about their lives in Ireland, but I do know he became a farmer in Canada. Also, his religion is listed as Weslyan Protestant.

Do you have any suggestions on where I could look in order to find out more about their lives in Ireland? 

Thanks for your help.

(note: this Lundy connection is not at all related to the Lundy family of Lundy's Lane. They are a different family who arrived in Canada from the U.S.)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lundy of Co. Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 April 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Wesleyan Protestant would be generally described as Methodism. In contrast to England, Methodism in Ireland took much longer to become a separate denomination, as many followers wished to remain part of the Church of Ireland. At the time your ancestors lived in Ireland (ie pre 1823) Methodists didn’t conduct their own baptisms or marriages and they would still have used the Church of Ireland. So those would be the church records to focus on, where they survive.
Elwyn

Offline Dramagal27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lundy of Co. Monaghan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 April 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this. I will try this new avenue of information.