Author Topic: Newbliss Kilbevan - Samuel Tibby  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Yenram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbliss Kilbevan - Samuel Tibby
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia!  I am hoping that someone who is familiar with Monaghan records can point me in the right direction.

I found the birth town & parish ( 1817 ) that my family member came from - It was recorded in his Army record.

Can anyone advise me what resources are available when I can't find the family in the British census records ( he was sent to Sth Africa with the British Army in the 1850's).

Would there be parish records held anywhere without me having to fly around the world? :D

I think Samuel's wife was named Margaret  :)  Samuel's daughter was Elizabeth and her death certficate in Australaia says she was born in Limmerick in 1841.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbliss Kilbevan - Samuel Tibby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
The parish that Samuel came from is probably Killeevan, not Kilbevan. (Newbliss is in Killeevan). You don’t say what denomination Samuel was. That matters if you are to search church records. Looking at the 1901 census for Co Monaghan there are just 9 Tibbys listed. They are a mix of RC, Presbyterian, Reformed Presbyterian and Church of Ireland. Any idea which yours was?
Elwyn

Offline Yenram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Elwyn  ;) I think the family were Presbyterian. Thank you for giving me the correct spelling of the town. Im grateful for you help

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
There’s a Presbyterian church in Newbliss but its records don’t go back as far as you need. Marriages start in 1845 and baptisms in 1856. Earlier records were presumably lost. (There’s a copy of the surviving records in PRONI (the public record office), Belfast. Microfilm MIC1P/275).
Elwyn

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newbliss, Killeevan - Samuel Tibby born 1817
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Yenram in Australia,

Did you ever find more about your ancestor Samuel Tibby? There's a Samuel Tibby in Killeevan parish in the Tithe Applotments, 1825. Possibly father or other older relative of your Samuel born about 1817?

I'd suggest searching Church of Ireland as well as Presbyterian records. I saw Tibby entries in the Killeevan Church of Ireland registers in County Monaghan a few years ago, but wasn't researching that family myself, so only copied a Tibby where there was an intermarriage with my lines.

Jane Tibby married Newbliss blacksmith Thomas Wilkin before 1834; they baptised children (Mary 1834, Joseph 1837, William 1839) in Killeevan Church of Ireland. The Wilkins are my cousins.

Killeevan is an old old church. The current building dates to 1858, but the register goes back to 1811. Then Newbliss Church of Ireland records begin in 1841 -- another possiblity to search.

Newbliss Presbyterian records might show Tibbys of interest, even though it's marriages 1845+ and baptisms 1856+, and your Samuel Tibby seems to have married before 1841.  I'd search all the Tibby marriages in Newbliss, since the entries will have the couple's residences and fathers' names. I'd search baptisms for Tibby children, as well. Also, you can find Tibby marriages in civil registrations (1845+) and check for residences and fathers' names. Just might connect the dots on an extended family that way.

All of this is dependent on your having an Irish-resident friend/kind volunteer/professional researcher search the Co. Monaghan church records on microfilm at PRONI, or original books in ministers' custody and at the RCB Library in Dublin, since you're in Australia.

Best of luck, and you're welcome to write me directly (private message to exchange email addresses) if you'd like more help.

Annie