Author Topic: Gavin Paterson/Provost of Hamilton/Lochside House  (Read 6689 times)

Offline bethcol

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Paterson/Provost of Hamilton/Lochside House
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 July 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
Just found out that my father is registered on my birth certificate (1950) as being an usher at Lochside House. Would this have been possible?

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 August 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethcol

I see this is your first post. Welcome to Rootschat.

Although I can't provide a definitive answer to your query, I did have a look at the land register for Lochside House, which shows that the owner from 1942 until 1959 was James McAuslan Cooper. However, it appears he and his wife didn't reside there throughout his proprietorship of that property. Given the reference to 'sometime Masonic Buildings in Hamilton' in the title, it may well be that the premises were hired for Masonic or private functions during a certain period. This could explain your father's employment there as an usher.

Hopefully, a Hamiltonian Rootschatter may be able to supply further, and more pertinent, information.

All the very best,

Rodeo

Offline NicShearer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 September 21 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm doing some research on my own family, many of whom were from Hamilton.  I know this is a very old post but I have a link to the discussion that I wanted to share in case you were still interested.  A lot of the info on the house and occupants you have all provided has been really useful - thanks!

My 2nd great-grandfather was Archibald Blyth who was General Manager for Bent Colliery Co., and lived at Lochside Cottage, 4 Bent Road Hamilton.  In trawling through ancestry stuff online, I found a photo shared by someone else of the house.  And if you compare it to google maps you'll see it is the same property!  Just with a lick of paint.

I've no idea when the photo was taken, or who the lady in it is - perhaps it is my 2nd Great Grandmother?! 

Just wanted to share on the off-chance that anyone is still interested all these years later.

Best wishes
Nicola

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 September 21 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for sharing that photo, Nicola. It's most interesting to me (and no doubt to Craig) to see what Lochside Cottage looked like during that era -- the early 1900s.

All the very best,

Rodeo