Author Topic: Mary Baxter, circa 1810  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Baxter, circa 1810
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
Searching for any information on Mary Baxter, believed born Carnwath, Lanarkshire circa 1810/11 - went on to marry Archibald Easton.  No idea on date of marriage or parents.  Can anyone assist me please?  Thanks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Baxter, circa 1810
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
You must know more about her than that, or you wouldn't be asking! What information do you already have - children's baptisms, census, death certificates?

There is a family in Bathgate in the 1841 census consisting of Archibald Easton, 30; wife Mary, 30; children Sarah, Margaret and Hume, and Robert Baxter, 50, all listed as born in West Lothian. If this is your family, your next step is to look for the 1851 census on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - yes I definitely do have the 1841 census of Mary and her husband Archibald.  I do not have a date of their marriage and I have no knowledge of Mary Baxter prior to her marriage - that is the information that I am seeking.  It is obviously from the 1841 census that I have gained her approximate birth year and no I do not have a date of death.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Good. The 1851 census should give you a more precise age, and her parish of birth. What made you think she was from Carnwath, which is in Lanarkshire?

have you looked for Mary's death on Scotland's People? If she died in Scotland after 1855, her death certificate should tell you the names of her parents.

It might also be worth investigating the Robert Baxter who is in the same household. He could be an older brother, or if his age is rounded down from 54 and Mary was in fact 30, he could be her father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 02:16 BST (UK) »
Mary Easton (nee Baxter) died 30/4/1880 New Monkland, Lanarkshire where she was living with her married daughter Margaret Shanks and family.   Age shown as 64 (?) but shown as 60 in 1871?Father Robert Baxter (deceased) Coal miner but mothers details left blank so presumably her son William (bc.1844 Armadale) who was the informant didn't know this information.

On census 1851 to 1871 she is listed as Mary Baxter not Easton.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
Earlier census records suggest birth date ca.1807 Carnwath.

Think this could be her (on SP and familysearch):

Marion Baxter b.22/6/1806, bp.13/7/1806 Carnwath, Lanarkshire dau. of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomson (Marion being a diminutive of Mary).

There is also a Thomas bp.27/1/1812 Carnwath, Lanarkshire, son of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomas (?).

Also (on familysearch):

Christian bp.14/3/1813 West Calder, Midlothian dau. of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomson.
Hume bp.15/7/1804 Bathgate, West Lothian                      ditto
Andrew bp.29/3/1809       ditto                                         ditto

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Earlier census records suggest birth date ca.1807 Carnwath.

Think this could be her (on SP and familysearch):

Marion Baxter b.22/6/1806, bp.13/7/1806 Carnwath, Lanarkshire dau. of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomson (Marion being a diminutive of Mary).

There is also a Thomas bp.27/1/1812 Carnwath, Lanarkshire, son of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomas (?).

Also (on familysearch):

Christian bp.14/3/1813 West Calder, Midlothian dau. of Robert Baxter and Margaret Thomson.
Hume bp.15/7/1804 Bathgate, West Lothian                      ditto
Andrew bp.29/3/1809       ditto                                         ditto

Annette

Good find, Annette. Archibald and Mary also named a son Hume, so I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Offline Jessies Mum

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 July 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Annette7, that is a fantastic find - sincerely appreciated :)