Author Topic: Tates of Longtown  (Read 12512 times)

Offline fmather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tates of Longtown
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 September 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
On the Longtown site the words "is often named in the register" were used. ....so maybe I'm in with a chance  (even if significantly less than 50%).

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
I took the opportunity to check the register for May Ann TATE when I was at Whitehaven the other day.

There was no additional information I'm afraid. :(
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline fmather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 September 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for going to the trouble.
Fiona M

Offline Suzie Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 01:10 BST (UK) »
???I am up against a brick wall in my attempt to trace my Tate family in Longtown further back than the 19th century.The furthest I've managed to get is the marriage of Robert Tate and Elizabeth Tinniswood circa 1781 but I don't know whether that occurred in Longtown (Arthuret) or elsewhere and have no information of their parentage and background. Any info. or pointers would be gratefully received as I'm 12,000 miles away!

Offline Suzie Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
???I am up against a brick wall in my attempt to trace my Tate family in Longtown further back than the 19th century.The furthest I've managed to get is the marriage of Robert Tate and Elizabeth Tinniswood circa 1781 but I don't know whether that occurred in Longtown (Arthuret) or elsewhere and have no information of their parentage and background. Any info. or pointers would be gratefully received as I'm 12,000 miles away!
[/
quote]I have family tree details on an Elizabeth Tinniswood, died at Brampton in 1870, aged 83, buried at Hayton.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Most of the Tates in the Longtown area were buried at Kirkandrews on Esk rather than Arthuret. There is one gravestone there, which is mostly illegible (apart from the names Robert, John and Thomas) but on the reverse is:

Interred here Sarah TINNISWOOD who died at Longtown August 6th 180- aged 97 years.

From the parish register
1806 Jul 29 Tinniswood Sarah aged 94 widow of Arthuret.

Since there are other Tate gravestones nearby, its possible that this is for your Tate family, as there are no other Tinniswoods buried at Kirkandrews on Esk, and that Sarah Tinniswood is a relative of Elizabeth Tinniswood.

Robert Tate married Elizabeth Tinniswood at Arthuret in 1781:
Jan 30th  1781 Marr.   TATE   Robert Tate of Longtown in this parish, Batchelor & Elizabeth Tinninswood X of the same place, Spinster by Banns   (from the Arthuret BTs)   

it might be worth checking out Kirkandrews on Esk for the burials of some of  Tate families there, if your Robert and Elizabeth were buried there then their ancestors may have come from that parish as well.
cheers
robbiesmum

Offline Suzie Young

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Most of the Tates in the Longtown area were buried at Kirkandrews on Esk rather than Arthuret. There is one gravestone there, which is mostly illegible (apart from the names Robert, John and Thomas) but on the reverse is:

Interred here Sarah TINNISWOOD who died at Longtown August 6th 180- aged 97 years.

From the parish register
1806 Jul 29 Tinniswood Sarah aged 94 widow of Arthuret.

Since there are other Tate gravestones nearby, its possible that this is for your Tate family, as there are no other Tinniswoods buried at Kirkandrews on Esk, and that Sarah Tinniswood is a relative of Elizabeth Tinniswood.

Robert Tate married Elizabeth Tinniswood at Arthuret in 1781:
Jan 30th  1781 Marr.   TATE   Robert Tate of Longtown in this parish, Batchelor & Elizabeth Tinninswood X of the same place, Spinster by Banns   (from the Arthuret BTs)   

it might be worth checking out Kirkandrews on Esk for the burials of some of  Tate families there, if your Robert and Elizabeth were buried there then their ancestors may have come from that parish as well.
cheers
robbiesmum
Oh, thanks for that, I was replying to the other persons question about Elizabeth but copied her question by mistake, although I didn't know this about Sarah, I have only just begun researching the Tinniswoods, Sarah is my Great Grandmother.  I have just got a load of paperwork from my anuty on this also a copy of the family crest which unfortunately is only in black and white, do you have any other details? Suzie Young (Millar)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 November 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on the Athuret Parish Registers.  If Geoff checked them at Whitehaven Archives, would this be a microfilm copy or a microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts.
The original Arthuret registers were ordfered to be burned by the incumbent in the mid 1950's and for many years were believed to be destroyed but they turned up in Australia in the 1960's.  They are too fragile to be consulted now but they are on microfilm.  In some years BT's and Registers differ alarmingly in the information they provide.
Incidentally there are Tates or Taits and Tinniswoods in Nicholforest Register in the mid 19 century.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 November 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on the Arthuret Parish Registers.  If Geoff checked them at Whitehaven Archives, would this be a microfilm copy or a microfilm of the Bishop's Transcripts?

What I looked at was a microfilm copy of a standard format 1812+ register page.

I think Anne was described as a Spinster but, beyond that, there was no info.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.