Author Topic: Arran? or on the way there?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arran? or on the way there?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
There's more than one Kilmory - another being at Ardnamurchan.

The sign says "Kilmory Circular via West Road" - the circular might refer to the circular graveyard at the Ardnamurchan site?  Or it could be the road along the west coast of Arran to Kilmory in the south.  There certainly were pleasure trips by coach that did the route for day trippers.

There's also a Kilmory Castle on the west side of Bute - same island as Rothesay.

I can't tell if the picture is in Arran - not enough context ...

Edit: snap Mhomac!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 10 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Manick,

Three of the photographs posted were definitely taken in Rothesay, on the Isle of Bute.  'Mumgran.jpg' was taken looking south, just at the town end of the access road to Rothesay Pier.  The war memorial can be seen behind the two figures in the picture, and the pier is off to the left.
'Album 11.jpg' with the five figures was taken about 50 yards south of the one above.  Behind the figure, second from left, is East Princes Street, and behind the lady, second from the right, is Guildford Square.
From the 1950's, and possibly earlier, the main bus station for service buses, (and island tour buses in summer) was located here.  This is why I am fairly certain that group in the photo 'kilmory.jpg' was taken against the railings of the inner harbour in Rothesay.  The bus stances in Guildford Square were directly opposite the harbour.

There are two farms on the west side of the island, Meikle Kilmory, and Little Kilmory, both south of Straad (OS 63, Grid Ref. 043620).  I'm sure that this is the Kilmory area referred to on the board being held.

One recollection of holidays in Rothesay was that there were always street photographers working in this area of the town, taking photographs on spec., and issuing tickets to people who had been photographed.  Once developed, the negatives were marked in the margin with a reference number that corresponded with the number on the ticket.  When the negative was printed this number showed through onto the edge of the print.

Photo's were usually available the following day, and the reference numbers on the tickets were matched to those on the prints.  One company that operated in this fashion was Butey Snaps, based in Deanhood Place.

Sorry I can't identify the other locations.

Regards,

Istrice

Offline Manick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi that's fantastic. It means I can ask a cousin of mine who spent a considerable time with her Mum before she died if she ever talked about Rothesay. My Mum, who features in the photos, is still alive, but suffering from Alzheimer's. It's so sad that she would have been able to help had I talked about her memories years ago.
Thanks so much for your help
Manick

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Well Done Istrice, Rothesay it is, I've stayed in a flat shown in the last pic', just above the head of the woman on the right!....Skoosh.

Offline Manick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Well done indeed. One of the pics shows a Belisha Beacon in the background, which helps date it. They were introduced in 1934. Not sure when Rothesay got them though!

Manick

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 February 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Manick, probably about the same time as a Ham Slicer in the Co-op......Skoosh.