Author Topic: Who was Isobel/Elizabeth Gray 1500's??  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was Isobel/Elizabeth Gray 1500's??
« on: Sunday 27 June 10 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help with this one please??

I have found a reference in an old Peerage book about the wife of James King of Barra, Westerhouse and Bourtie. It talks of JAmes and his wife inheriting lands in 1537 and 1548. James died in 1576- I dont know when Isobel died.

The Peerage states she was Isobel, or Elizabeth, Gray- daughter of James Gray of Schivas, by Catherine Menzies, daughter of the Laird of Pitfoddels. It also states that Isobels son William, married Elizabeth Menzies, daughter of the Laird of Pitfoddels....who must surely have been a relative of his mother???

Can anyone tell me anything more about Isobel/Elizabeth please? And the Grey and Menzies families?
where is schivas? and pitfoddels??

AND... is Elizabeth the English version of Isobel?

Thanks!!
Kylie B

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Isobel/Elizabeth Gray 1500's??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

This is a great site for checking on first name variants, particular strong for Scottish names www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=elizabeth

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a descendant of the Grays of Schivas. Did you ever get your info on them? Be happy to share what I have.

Offline JADuvall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gray of Schivasof
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I would like to hear from anyone who might be able to shed some light on the Gray of Schivas family.  I'm attempting to determine whether or not an Andrew Gray of Oldmill (Merchant and Burgess of Aberdeen) and his brother Patrick Gray (fl. 1590s into the early 1600s) was a descendant of that family.  Circumstantial evidence would seem to indicate that they were.  By 1595 Andrew Gray was married to an Isobel/Isabel Keith (Keyth) and he was also identified as a kinsman of the Turning family.  The Grays also seem to be connected to a Moir family of Oldmill, Foveran, and Meikle Haddo.

Jeff.

Offline JADuvall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Gray of Oldmill, etc., was a kinsman of the Turing family, not Turning.  Sorry for the confusion.