Author Topic: Fraser family Ardglassie, Rathen  (Read 3835 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fraser family Ardglassie, Rathen
« on: Sunday 25 May 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Anyone have info re above family

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser family Ardglassie, Rathen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
There's a gravestone in the kirkyard at Rathen to John Fraser sometime in Ardglassie who died 17-2-1786 aged 37, his daughter Christian died 1-9-1785 aged 2 months, his wife Jean Taylor died 4-3-1818 aged 72. Their son James (who lived at Rora) died 19-8-1847 aged 65, and James's wife Sophia Bruce died 20-2-1863 aged 86.

Next to it is one with a fragmentary inscription which mentions Christian Fraser and her husband William Greig in Newmill who seems to have died 4-11-1776. Also a John Fraser in Ardglassie died [ ] July [    ] aged 66.

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 May 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for information. 

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi I live next door to Ardglassie if you are interested in any photos of the area just let me know all the best Lesley
Reid - Edinburgh, East Linton
Borthwick - Edinburgh, Dalkeith
Cowe - East Lothian
Johnston - Dalkeith, Borthwick
Christie, Lee, Anderson, Greig, Innes, Bisset, Noble, Fraserburgh

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind offer, but we downsized recently and have had to put my files in storage meantime therefore I will turn down your offer.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
There's a gravestone in the kirkyard at Rathen to John Fraser sometime in Ardglassie who died 17-2-1786 aged 37, his daughter Christian died 1-9-1785 aged 2 months, his wife Jean Taylor died 4-3-1818 aged 72. Their son James (who lived at Rora) died 19-8-1847 aged 65, and James's wife Sophia Bruce died 20-2-1863 aged 86.

Next to it is one with a fragmentary inscription which mentions Christian Fraser and her husband William Greig in Newmill who seems to have died 4-11-1776. Also a John Fraser in Ardglassie died [ ] July [    ] aged 66.

Hi GR2, I thought maybe I had made some headway with this group but I've come unstuck. According to the OPRs a James Fraser at Ardglassie had a daughter called Christian and a son called James both baptised on July 16th 1785 (this would tie in with the September death and the James married to Sophia both showing in the 1841 census living Rora, Longside) ).

In 1782 a John Fraser at Ardglassie had a daughter called Christian baptised on the 17th of March. Given the two Christian births I thought maybe John and James were two brothers with a sister called Christian who married a William Greig in 1766 all linked to Ardglassie.

Here's the rub in 1776 there appears to be TWO men called John Fraser having children at Ardglassie. A James Fraser is baptised on the 30th of April and given the witnesses are James Fraser and Alexander Henderson I take this to be the son of John Fraser and Isabella Henderson. Four days later another James is baptised - in the presence of the congregation. The OPR do say baptised not born....

I've attached a crib of the Rathen births I've found that begin in the early 1770s. There are birth in the 1750s then nothing till the 1770s (no gaps in the birth records according to SP) so I'm assuming a new generation having children...

Need some fresh wise eyes on this....
Jen

This links with a post on John Fraser and Isabella Henderson:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=521806.msg5609851#msg5609851
Also a question about Ardglassie:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=524518.msg3793901#msg3793901

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it is not unusual to have lots of detail, but not that last vital piece to joint it all together. I too have several lines which end like that. One possibility is to look through the baptisms of all the children in the parish to see the names of the witnesses. Maybe your Frasers might turn up with some kind of designation (e.g. a placename or senior/junior). The name of the early witness will be Barnet. Perhaps "... Barnet there".

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry GR2 me being vague. I 'know' the following:

James Fraser who died in 1855 showing age 78 was born in Rathen to a John Fraser and a Isabella Henderson. John Fraser and Isabella Henderson had another son called John born at Ardglassie in 1786. I'm pretty confident the James who died in 1855 is the one born to them on the 30th April 1776 and that the Elizabeth born in 1779 - given the name of the witnesses, is also their child.

The problem is the MI, if a John Fraser had a daughter called Christian born around July 1785 that means a James Fraser at Ardglassie also had a daughter called Christian born around July 1785 and that the daughter to John was never recorded (there are only two Christian Fraser births in Rathen 1750-1800). A John Fraser does have a daughter called Christian born at Ardglassie but that was in 1782 so she can't be the daughter who died in 1785. That would mean two Johns and a James all having children at Ardglassie.

Think I'll go for a run now!
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir