Author Topic: Edgar P Colcombe /Beatrice Oakes /Sarah Oakes  (Read 4058 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edgar P Colcombe /Beatrice Oakes /Sarah Oakes
« on: Monday 07 April 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Good Morning ...Having found 2 descendants of these 3 -I thought I would post the details to see if anyone is connected ..
Edgar P Colcombe b Weobley 1878 married Beatrice Oakes b 1884 Garston,Liverpool - they married in June 1913
1 child   George E M  1914   Beatrice dies dec 1915
Edgar then marries the sister of Beatrice - Sarah Oakes b 1890 Garston,Liverpool
they marry in mar qtr 1919
3 children  Kenneth J M - same qtr mar 1919
Mary mar qtr 1922
M*******  b mar qtr  1930 ...a female - I won`t name her as I don`t know whether she has passed away ..I would be delighted if this lady is still alive
Beatrice and Sarah Oakes were just 2 of 10 children to Daniel Oakes and Mary Ann Merrick ( b 1852 Ocle Pychard ) ALL 10 children were born Garston,Liverpool
when Daniel Oakes died in 1904 in Garston ,Liverpool - Mary Ann returned home to her Aunties House which was left to her when her Aunty Ellen Maria Merrick died-the house was  Brooke House ,Eccles Green Mary Ann returned with her 3 youngest children Beatrice /Harriet /Sarah Oakes.
(I have 40 Merrick family in my family tree the vast majority were born in Norton Canon .. Eccles Green is very close )
if anyone has any more info on this family of Colcombe / Oakes I would be delighted - I do have the parents of Edgar P Colcombe and the 5 older siblings of Edgar - he being the youngest ...but if anyone can add any info please do
thanks all
allan oakes - Garstonite :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Maclea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar P Colcombe /Beatrice Oakes /Sarah Oakes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,
My name is Martha Anne Macleod (nee Colcombe) b 08.10.1945 in Glasgow. I am the younger daughter of Kenneth James Merrick Colcombe b 1919 d 1972. His father was Edgar Peter Colcombe and mother Sarah (nee Oakes). My older sister is Jeanette Carson b 5.5.1942 also in Glasgow. our mother was Elizabeth Johnston b 1917 d 1997.
I have just found this site and thought I would touch base with you. If you want to ask any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Regards
Anne Macleod

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne -what a pleasant surprise ....we are directly connected and I have the Oakes family back to 1754 and the Merrick family back to mid 1600`s ...if you want any info on these 2 trees ,let me know and I can forward the info ..
I am in contact with a grandson of Harriet Oakes - the sister of Sarah ...
Harriett married Harold Evelyn Phillips and they had a Jewellers shop in Ross on Wye ..
Edgar P Colcombe and Sarah ran a Butchers shop...
I have photos of Edgar and Sarah and Beatrice of them all outside Edgars Butchers shop ...
once you have made 3 posts - I can then PM you my e mail address - and then I can show you photos of Mary Ann ( Merrick ) Oakes / Beatrice Oakes / Sarah Oakes (who both married Edgar Colcombe ) and Edgar P Colcombe ...
You should delete yours and your sisters Dates of Birth on your post ...just in case of hackers ...
meanwhile ....I will await your next post ..
I am in Garston,Liverpool - are you still in Glasgow ?? -for the record
Daniel Oakes married Mary Ann Merrick in 1874 at St Michaels church ,Garston ...they had 10 children and you have about 150 blood relatives around the area of Garston...lol
allan :)

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Maclea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 May 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan
It was great to get such a prompt reply from you.
I actually live in Nailsea near Bristol and have done for 31years. I was married to Ian for 43 years but sadly he passed away in January of this year.  I have 2 sons Stuart who lives in Brisbane and Douglas who lives in Nailsea.  I think I read somewhere about a connection in Australia but I can't quite remember who or where that was.
My sister Jeanette still lives in Glasgow. She is married to David Carson and they also have 2 boys and also
3 grandchildren. (I have 2 grandchildren in Australia).
At this moment I am visiting my sister in Glasgow so it is good that all this information is coming while we are together.
We are both also in close contact with our cousin Carol McCook whom I believe you have also been in contact with. As it happens we hope to see Carol this week when she too visits Glasgow.
I shall remove the date of births from my first post when I work out how to do it.
Look forward to hearing from you again and seeing the photos in the future.
Regards
Anne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 May 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya Anne...yes -it is only very recently that Carol and I have made contact ...I put Carol in touch with John Martin and they have been swapping photos .
For obvious reasons - being in Garston , and Mary Ann Oakes ( nee Merrick ) going back to Herefordshire when Daniel Oakes died , I never had any photos of Sarah / Beatrice / Harriett...I keep saying that I will have to go to Hereford to see John Martin ...my wife and I went to Norton Canon / Eardisley / Letton / Ocle Pychard /Kington,4 years ago for Whit weekend and it was a really nice area of England ...Garston is the last Dock in the South of Liverpool ...nothing at all like Herefordshire ....I am still at a loss why a woman from Ocle Pychard whose father owned over 100 acres would come to Garston - (all like Coronation St houses ) to live ??...where did Daniel and Mary Ann meet ??...still a mystery....so - sods law - about 3 months after we had been to Herefordshire that Whit weekend John Martin contacted me ...would have been so nice to have met him then ....so - how far are you from Hereford ?...maybe someday we could all meet up and drink a toast to Mary Ann Merrick ...who in my eyes was an incredible woman ....
to delete the 2 dates of birth of yourself and Jeanette - click on modify( top right in red ) on your post and when your original post comes up, delete the dob`s ...uncanny that I spent over 23 years in Scotland as a shopfitting Joiner ...when William Lowe supermarkets were taken over by Tesco , I had to go there to convert them over ...and then I re vamped the Tescos ...I use to work 11 days and go home 3 - 12 hours a day - I worked in Glasgow many many times ...hard work ...but I am happy to say I am retired now...
anyway ...after another post , I will be able to PM  my e mail address...it`s pointless me sending any photos because all the photos I have are from Carol and John ...so when Carol visits , I presume she will show you them all ...
so - be lucky (Garston saying ) and I look forward to your next post ...
allan :)

Offline Maclea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 May 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Jeanette and I have never seen a photo of Beatrice. I take it  you are a descendant of one of the other 7 siblings. We haven't seen that family tree either. In Nailsea we are not too far away from Weobley in fact Ian and I used to go over the bridge to Chepstow/Monmouth every so often. We had also been to Hereford and once to Weobley many years ago. It would be good if we could all meet up somewhere when Jeanette is down visiting me perhaps!
Anne

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 May 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
quote -  It would be good if we could all meet up somewhere when Jeanette is down visiting me perhaps!
I think that would be great...and something I would look forward to ...

Daniel Oakes b 1849 in Neston,Cheshire married Mary Ann Merrick b 1852 Ocle Pychard ,Herefordshire
married at St Michaels church,Garston 1874   www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
children as follows
Thomas Walter Oakes b 1874 , Garston ..( all children born in Garston)
Ellen Maria Oakes b 1875
WILLIAM EDWARD OAKES B 1877 - my direct line *****
Daniel Oakes b 1879
Mary Jane b 1881
Beatrice Oakes b 1883
James Oakes b 1885
Harriet Oakes b 1887
Sarah Oakes b 1889   - your direct line  *******
Elizabeth Merrick Oakes b 1894 

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Aoakes~%20%2Brecord_country%3AEngland%20%2Brecord_subcountry%3A%22England%2CLancashire%22%20%2Bbirth_place%3Agarston~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1870-1895~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Adaniel~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3A%22mary%20ann%22~
I will PM you my e mail address
allan