Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)COCHRANE Alexander - Caputh  (Read 11822 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)COCHRANE Alexander - Caputh
« on: Thursday 12 December 13 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I've got lots here but not the final bit. I'll start with my GG grandmother Jessie Fullerton.  She was born Jessie Cochrane and from her death cert 1919 I've got her parents as Alexander Cochrane (farm grieve) and Janet Scott. From multiple census I've got Jessie born in Carputh in 1838. On the 51 I've got Jessie with her parents and siblings living at Constable Lane Blairgowrie. On the 51 census Alexander is listed as 42 a brewer (the same occupation is listed when Jessie marries for the first time in 1855) his birth place is given as Caputh, his wife Janet 39 was born in Kinloch. On the 41 census I've got them living in Locholly Caputh with him down as a Agr Lab this time. I've got a marriage cert for Alexander and Janet (Clunie 1829) and possible birth certs.  The trouble is I can't find their death certs...family rumour had the couple living in England in 1880s but I've found no evidence of this.
I do have an Alexander Cochrane 50  and William Cochrane 14 (woud be the correct age for his son) on the 1861 census living with his father in law Donald Scott - no Janet but the daughters (Donald's) listed are born in Kinloch. I'd say was definitely him except he's down as having been born in Logierait and his son in Caputh. There is no sign of James (the youngest born 1852) or Janet)...the older siblings are married or working away by 61.
I've got so many certs for this group I think I might not be able to see the wood for the trees.  I'm pretty sure of Janet's parents but cannot confirm Alexander's until I find his death cert...
Thanks
Jen
PS 1866 John Robertson Cochrane (son b.1840) gets married - parents list as above but no mention of 'deceased'...John's married in Fife but living in Lambeth.....
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: COCHRANE Alexander - Caputh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen  :)

There is no sign of James (the youngest born 1852) or Janet)...the older siblings are married or working away by 61.

An online tree has James marrying a Matilda Smith Cairncross in Feb. 1872 Dundee. I think this is them, going by the names of children, in 1881 in Dundee (no specific address included):

James Cochrane 28 plumber b. Blairgowrie, Perthshire
Matilda Cochrane 28 b. Dundee
Robert C Cochrane 8
Jessie S Cochrane 6
Helen M Cochrane 4
Alexander Cochrane 2

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
The missing 1861 census entry with Janet Scott I think is this one (as transcribed):

Janet Cochran 50 b. Kinloch, Perthshire
Alexander Cochran 16 bleacher, b. Caputh, Perthshire
James Cochran 8 b. Blairgowrie, Perthshire
Janet Peters 22 daughter b. Caputh, Perthshire
Jessie Peters 4
John Peters 3
Margaret M Peters 1

Address: Jessie St (seems apt!) Blairgowrie

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 December 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Monica you are amazing! Blimey Janet has more than one child! No one in the family know this. Janet was always known as Jessie - she got married very young to a John Peters I thought she only had one daughter Jessie Scott Peters - looks like she has two more. Oh la la..  She 'marries' William Fullerton in 1871 - supposedly-  in Newcastle but no one's been able to show this was the case.

William and Alexander Cochrane must have just been working on the father-in-laws farm at the time of the 61 census - that makes sense.
I've got a photo of Jessie Fullerton she looks a tad formidable....her daughter marries James Christie Russell grandson of you know who!
MUST put of Christmas decs now...
Jen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 December 13 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at John Peters and Jessie Cochrane's marriage cert - he's a widower/2nd marriage - also he's a plumber. He was 27 she was 17. Not even going to start looking for Peters! Back to the decorations.
Jen

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 December 13 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Maybe John Peters and Janet's brother met through work given that James Cochrane also shows as a plumber in 1881?

The will & testament entry (31 pages, a lot!) of very likely Janet Scott's father Donald won't likely give you much more clues given it is from the 1860s?

Donald Scott, 10 Oct 1865, sometimes farmer at Hillbarns, afterwards residing in Blairgowrie. Perth Sheriff Court. Ref SC49/31/80

I am guessing you have viewed the death of an Alexander Cochrane in 1871 (b. 1815) in Auchterarder?

Monica

PS: Ignore the Auchterarder death I think from 1871...I can see an 1815 Alexander Cochrane there on the 1871 census, b. Renfrewshire. Likely him on the death index.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 December 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
PS: You are very likely doing better than me on the deco's...and likely presents...and tree etc.

My children look at me and plead for red in the house  :D

I have promised this weekend, the house will turn into Santa's Lapland World  8)

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 December 13 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Decs up - cards tomorrow. Thought I should mention - as a result of the 61 census I managed to get Janet Scott's parent's details.  Although her father's down as Donald it's Daniel on his marriage and death certificate.  The five daughters are listed at SP with Daniel Scott and Margaret Robertson as parents - ages all tally with 61 census and the three still living at home. Janet calls one of her sons John Robertson.   I've got Margaret's death cert looks like her mother was a Thompson.  I'll need to look through my multiple Alexander Cochranes cert ...but not tonight.
Jen

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 December 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »

Hello There,

Here is the 1841 census, for the family,

Address, Hillburns, Blairgowrie,

Scott Donald, M. age 55 years, Farmer, Perth,
Robertson Margaret, F. age 60 years, Perth,
Scott Margaret, F. age 25 years, Perth,
Scott Jean, F. age 25 years, Perth,
Scott Ann, F. age 20 years, Perth,
Scott Joseph, M. age 20 years, Perth,
Scott Isabella, F. age 20 years, Perth,
Cochrane Margaret, F. age 11 years, Perth.

The Scott, children well there not children ages are all rounded down as per Scottish Census,

The young Margaret Cochrane, is the first born child of Alex Cochrane, and Janet Scott, living with her grandparents.

Yes Daniel Scott, is Donald, on most of the census.

Regards,
Jonn.