Author Topic: Canal Boatmen and Women  (Read 169764 times)

Offline ELANORLOUISEWOOD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canal Boatmen and Women
« Reply #315 on: Thursday 01 October 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
think this relates to my grandfather thomas edward wood my dad was called kenneth eric wood

Offline sharriegi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Monday 25 April 16 04:34 BST (UK) »
I have: Joseph Harrison (1817) who married Eliza Hollinshead who then had a number of children one of the called Sarah Ann Harrison born 1866 who married John Wood. Joseph was a boatman as was Eliza's family...... If anyone can give me more info going back into 1700's that would be awesome.

Offline sharriegi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel

My connection is through my Mother in Law who is a Leese is connected to Wood and Fradley Family.
Yes you can use the information, I still have more on the Hollinshead family as well as some on those connected via marriage to the Hollinsheads.

Ann

My ancestors are Joseph Harrison b 1817? Married Eliza Hollinshead who had Sarah Ann Harrison b 1866 who married John Wood b 1866? Who had the following children John, Lily, Ethel, Harold, Ada Jane, William. John died aged 12 1903 and Ada Jane b 1904 is my great grandmother, she kept changing her name from wood to Hollinshead as did her parents.

Can you help with this family. Joseph Harrison was a boat man

Offline Jbwelsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi. Does anyone have any information on my great grandfathers side of the family? He was born in 1868 in wolverhampton and a canal bargeman. I can't find any birth certificate or other information for for the name john welsh.
Thanks.

Offline CROXSTER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Saturday 09 June 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
ok im trying to search my mums side of the family all of which came of the canal her dad was George Beresford  his dad was Thomas Henry Beresford and his mum was Harriet Maud Beresford.and my mums mum  was Gladys irene Nixon / franks I think origionaly gladys nixons mum was a Nixon but the married into the franks from what I know they a from around the long buckby and Braunston area 
any help is much appriciated

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Saturday 09 June 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
ok im trying to search my mums side of the family all of which came of the canal her dad was George Beresford  his dad was Thomas Henry Beresford and his mum was Harriet Maud Beresford.and my mums mum  was Gladys irene Nixon / franks I think origionaly gladys nixons mum was a Nixon but the married into the franks from what I know they a from around the long buckby and Braunston area 
any help is much appriciated
HELLO
I expect you already might have this info Thomas, George, Evelyn Maud, Winnifred, Violet are all children to Thomas Henry & Harriett Maud Lillian Beresford  ( the middle e appears to be missing in some surnames but i am sure they are all from the same family  ) between 1920 & 1927 all these children where baptised at Braunston . i have boat family still living in Long buckby & Nixons are part of my family tree

Offline CROXSTER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
hi does my nan Gladys irene Nixon or her mum violet Gertrude Nixon appear on you family tree I only ask as my mum would like to know where she is possibly involved with the Nixon family though her first grandad also could you please email me what you have on the family tree I would be most grateful oh and thankyou for the Beresford history side of the family

Offline mel9329

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Friday 17 May 19 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia

Had a look at my information and the following is what I have found

David Wood son of Benjamin and Harriet (Harrison) Wood born: 1873 at Oldbury. He married Ellen Slater Nixon born: at Penkridge
David employed as a Boatman

Children of David and Ellen(Slater Nixon) Wood
1. John Wood born: Penkridge
2. jane Wood born: Penkridge
3. David Wood born: Tipton
4. Emily Wood Born: 1900 Wolverhampton
5. Thomas Edward Wood born: 1900 Penkridge

Think this is what you are after
Have a bit of info on  Benjamin and Harriet (harrison) Wood
let me know if you want this
Will have a look on my Boat Register information and see if any off these appear

Regards
Ann

Hi Ann,

I'm also looking into Benjamin Wood & Harriet Harrison and wondered if you had any info you would be happy to share?

Thank you
Mel

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Friday 17 May 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonia

Had a look at my information and the following is what I have found

David Wood son of Benjamin and Harriet (Harrison) Wood born: 1873 at Oldbury. He married Ellen Slater Nixon born: at Penkridge
David employed as a Boatman

Children of David and Ellen(Slater Nixon) Wood
1. John Wood born: Penkridge
2. jane Wood born: Penkridge
3. David Wood born: Tipton
4. Emily Wood Born: 1900 Wolverhampton
5. Thomas Edward Wood born: 1900 Penkridge

Think this is what you are after
Have a bit of info on  Benjamin and Harriet (harrison) Wood
let me know if you want this
Will have a look on my Boat Register information and see if any off these appear

Regards
Ann
  Hello Ann I am part of the long line of Harrison boatmen ( I was born Jeannette Ann Harrison) 6 generations in all
Harriett who married Benjamin Wood was my GG grandads sister my G G Grandad being Allen all the siblings became or married Canal Boatmen as did most of the next 3 generations of them all. as did Harriett & benjamin woods children .the connections are v complicated as there are 7 connections with the wood boat people throughout the generations  also my g gran was from the stevens boat people 7 there are also wood connections there & my nanny also from a long line of boat people had several wood connections in her family .strong connections to the Slater & Slater Nixon

Hi Ann,

I'm also looking into Benjamin Wood & Harriet Harrison and wondered if you had any info you would be happy to share?

Thank you
Mel