Author Topic: Hannah Kerr  (Read 2510 times)

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Kerr
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I am seeking some clarification ,a relative has passed the following information on to me about a Hannah Kerr 1813 - 1910 I have been unable to confirm this information regarding as to whether she gave birth to my 2nd great grand mother Elizabeth Young 1832 .. The other question is who was her mother I may have found who her father a James Kerr born 1789 but as to where he was born is a bit sketchy he may have been born in Ireland or Dumfries.. There is a story that has been told & passed down in our family that these Kerrs were connected to the Duke of Roxburghe , which I am also trying to research. Any assistance would be much appreciated , kind regards Edward... :) :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Kerr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
Was Elizabeth Young born in Scotland?
Was Kerr Hannah's married or maiden name?
What leads you to believe that James Kerr b 1789 is Hannah's father? Kerr is quite a common name.
Have you used Scotlands People to confirm any of these dates and relationships?

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie , in answer to your question Kerr is Hannah's maiden name she married William Young & had Elizabeth in Dumfries .. James Kerr information was obtained from incomplete research passed on to me from my aunt & uncle.. Finances wont allow me to pay for incorrect information through Scotland's People as happened in the past.. Kind regards Edward  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hannah Kerr, mother of Elizabeth Young bc.1830 (per 1841 census) was not b.1813 d.1910.

Hannah Kerr was bc.1799 (according to 1841 census) and married William Young ca.1815.   They had 7 children born 1815 to 1835.   Details of birth/baptisms for 5 of them are on familysearch and SP - 2 missing are Janet bc.1827 and Elizabeth bc.1830.

By 1851 William is a widower - so Hannah Kerr bc.1798-9 died between 1841 and 1851.

William is shown to have been born between 1786 and 1795 at Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, (depending on which census you look at) but when he died 4/2/1872 it was as 86 i.e. bc.1786.

So, the answer is no - Hannah 1813-1910 is not your Hannah Kerr who was at least 15 years older and died between 1841 and 1851!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
Very well found Annette. :)

Edward, you are wise to check any information passed to you by relatives as sometimes they get it wrong.  :)

If you need help tracing your correct family please ask. You may have to purchase some credits from Scotlands People in order to confirm certain relationships. I know it is easy to just plough through the credits and spend a lot more money than intended, however there are ways to narrow down the searches, and people here may be able to help you work out which is the most likely entry so you don't waste too many credits.

Familysearch is also quite good for Scottish records, so if you find the correct person on there you can purchase the certificate or Parish Register from SP to confirm, and it may perhaps contain further information.

I haven't done any Dumfriesshire research for several years, so the memory is foggy, but I think there may even be some transcriptions which are freely available online.

I would advise you to go back to the ancestor who you know for a fact to be yours (and preferably hold a certificate or two for), and start again.

Don't hesitate to ask for help. The Scottish experts on here are second to none.  :)

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Ladies first , a big thank you to Annette 7 for your assistance & guidance & the information you sent it is most appreciated thank you for your time & effort , with kind regards Edward :) :) :)

Hi Ruskie , thank you also for your assistance , & advice I have taken that advice on board , I appreciate that information it gives me a new way of looking at how to go about they way I have been doing my research , once again thank you for your time & advice .. kind regards Edward :) :) :)