Author Topic: John Hall - Dumfries  (Read 3406 times)

Offline John W H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Hall - Dumfries
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

At last I have my first Scottish Ancestor my 3rd Great Grandfather John Hall born 1795 in Dumfries.  He states this on all Census transcriptions I have seen not just entering Scotland as most do.  Never having ventured past the border whilst researching I am now at a standstill

He married a Ann Harle in Newcastle in Jun 1823 and produced 3 little Halls and was a Customs Officer/Tide Waiter from at least 1841 till 1871

Can anyone help me on finding his parents or pointing me in the right direction, I have spent a fair amount of time googling and checking a lot of Dumfries links and come up with a blank.

Any help/hints/tips would be appreciated

John Hall
Northumberland: Hall, Arkle, Mortlock, Minto, Hoskin
Durham: Barnes, Kirkup, Whitfield, Young, Smith, Stobbart
Cumbria: Kirkup, Richardson, Spark

Offline Mark Taugwalder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Hall - Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mother was talking about an ancestor from Dumfries. Actually the same John Hall you mentioned.
He was born in 1795 too and married Ann Harle. After my Great Grandma was born, Miranda Hall. She had a daughter Lilian and she had later on two dauthers Jaqueline (my mum) and Margreth (my aunt).
Have you got any pictures about the family tartan, or a link were i could get one?
best regards
Mark Taugwalder

Hi

At last I have my first Scottish Ancestor my 3rd Great Grandfather John Hall born 1795 in Dumfries.  He states this on all Census transcriptions I have seen not just entering Scotland as most do.  Never having ventured past the border whilst researching I am now at a standstill

He married a Ann Harle in Newcastle in Jun 1823 and produced 3 little Halls and was a Customs Officer/Tide Waiter from at least 1841 till 1871

Can anyone help me on finding his parents or pointing me in the right direction, I have spent a fair amount of time googling and checking a lot of Dumfries links and come up with a blank.

Any help/hints/tips would be appreciated

John Hall

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
If this is your first venture north of the border in your research then you need to familiarise yourself with www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Very useful site but you need to buy credits to get more than just a count of how many records fit your search criteria. Costs 1 credit to view a page of record index and 5 credits to view the actual image. The advantage of this site over English records is that you can view the actual records online and donīt have the week of waiting for certificates to arrive by post.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
An additional hint for when you try scotlandspeople. Search for your John Hall in Dumfries county not Dumfries parish. There are none that fit your date exactly, but there are some that may be worth a closer look.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn