Author Topic: Drumacoon School, Newbliss - anyone go there?  (Read 13220 times)

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Drumacoon School, Newbliss - anyone go there?
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone on here used to go to Drumacoon School in Newbliss?... or if anyone has any old pictures/information - anything would be greatly appreciated.

I believe it is now a private home.

Many thanks.  Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Drumacoon School, Newbliss - anyone go there?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 08 23:16 BST (UK) »
My mother went to Drumacoon School near Newbliss. She would have been there during the 1920s until her parents died. I have at least one old photographs of children at the school. You are right about the school now being a private residence. I have photographs of the school before and after it was converted. I would be happy to share these with you if this is what you are looking for. I will be visiting Ireland in a few weeks and hope to visit Newbliss and the surrounding area myself.

Regards, Angela

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
My mother went to Drumacoon School near Newbliss. She would have been there during the 1920s until her parents died. I have at least one old photographs of children at the school. You are right about the school now being a private residence. I have photographs of the school before and after it was converted. I would be happy to share these with you if this is what you are looking for. I will be visiting Ireland in a few weeks and hope to visit Newbliss and the surrounding area myself.

Regards, Angela

Hello Angela

Thank you so much for replying.

I would be very very grateful if you could email me the photos if possible... we dont' have any pictures of the old school (when it was a school)... or any other pictures you may have...

My father went to the school from approx. 1944 to 1953... His surname was Donnelly - he was living in Killeevan at the time with his uncle James Matthews.  James Matthews brothers were Michael and Peter and they would have gone to the school in the 1920s also.  My father can remember Brogans, Clerkins, Duffys and Heffernans...

Thank you Angela.... I will pm you my email address for the photos.  Every best wish to you for a safe trip to Ireland and an enjoyable stay.  Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
The helpful restorers have worked on this photograph for me, so I am including 2 of them. The picture I have is quite poor quality, but as it gives names of the children I thought it might be useful to other people.

If you count the number of children in each row and check with the number of names you will see that a couple of names must be missing. My mother is on the 2nd row of this photo so I know which one is her, but it doesn't quite tally with the list of names.

The photo I have doesn't give the name of the school, but I assume it is Drumacoon as my mother lived in Newbliss in the parish of Killevan. I have another older photo which is labelled as Drumacoon N.S. and my mother is also on this one.

If anyone else has an interest in the schools in the parish of Killeevan I have a little information and more faded photographs.

Angela

Offline sherrkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela
I've just seen 2 of my husband's relatives on the photo of Drumacoon school you've posted- Marcella and Eileen Sherry!  Just wondered if you have any more school photos with Sherry's in them or information about the school - when it opened and also what other schools there were in the Parish.

King regards
Kate

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 September 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate

My mum's family must have known the Sherry family very well. My mum's birth was registered by a B. Sherry, who was present at the birth. Also, on the school photo my mum is sitting next to Marcella Sherry!

I do have other school photos from this era and will look to see if I can find any other members of the Sherry family.

I have some information about my mum's brother which was written by Eddie Sherry who was one of my uncle's friends. Is Eddie one of your husband's relatives too?

Look forward to hearing from you again

Kind regards
Angela

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again Kate

I have just looked through the old school photographs I have and have found Stella Sherry and Eddie Sherry on one photograph and another with Eddie Sherry. I also have a photo of Drumacoon school building before it was converted into a private residence. I will be happy to share these with you if they are of any interest.

Kind regards
Angela

Offline sherrkat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 September 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela
I would love to see the photo of Drumacoon school and the photo with the Sherries on.  Marcella's mother was a Brigid Sherry so maybe she is your B Sherry.  Do you know when the school opened - I'm just wondering whether the previous generation would have also gone to the same school?

Marcella and Eileen also have a brother called Edward (b.1913) who maybe your Eddie and their granddad was also Edward (b.1837).  Marcella and Eileen's father, James is the brother of Thomas Sherry and Thomas is my husband's great granddad.
Looking forward to seeing the photos
King regards
Kate

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 September 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate

Have checked mum's Birth certificate and it says the informant was B Sherry, Drumshannon. There can't be many female Irish names beginning with B so it's likely to be Brigid.

Have searched for info about Drumacoon school and others and have found this:

'Up to the building of Drumacoon school in 1903, one of the buildings at the entrance to Killeevan Chapel was used as a schoolroom.'

'In Slater's Irish Directory for 1894, two schools are listed for Newbliss, one in the village with a John Wallace as master and one in Clinmaulin with P Houston in charge.'

Killeevan Chapel and Drumacoon School were both RC, so perhaps the previous generation went to the school at Killeevan Chapel.

Were any of your husband's family interested in Gaelic football? I also have photos and information about Killeevan Sarsfields G.F.C.

I will contact you personally to send photos.

Kind Regards
Angela