Author Topic: McMahon & McGuirk in Cornacarrow/Corratanty  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Closed Account

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMahon & McGuirk in Cornacarrow/Corratanty
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hello all.  I'm seeking any information on the below people and families to help progress my research.  This stems from my research into a Patrick McMahon who was born ca. 1862.  Patrick the son later immigrated to New York City where he married, had a family, and died.  His parents were likely born in the 1820s-1840s timeframe, but I have not yet been successful in finding any records in Monaghan (or elsewhere in Ireland) relating to them, additonal children born to them, names of their siblings/parents, etc.

Cornacarrow McMahons (1901 Irish Census)
Possible match for the parents, but none of these first three people seem to appear on the 1911 Census:
Patrick McMahon b. 1826
Alice McMahon (wife) b. 1831
Alice McMahon (sister) b. 1816
Residents of home next door (likely their relatives):
Thomas McMahon b. 1826
Mary McMahon b. 1843 (wife)
Various children (Thomas, Mary Ellen, Kate Anne) and a grandson (Patrick Joseph Lambe)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McMahon & McGuirk in Cornacarrow/Corratanty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to 1901 census entry for Patrick McMahon:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Laragh/Cornacarrow/1628265
Thomas McMahon in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Laragh/Cornacarrow/1628264

PRONI (www.proni.gov.uk) shows Thomas McMahon: "Administration of the Estate of Thomas McMahon late of Cornacarrow County Monaghan Farmer who died 20 January 1909 at Castleblayney in said County granted at Armagh to Mary McMahon the Widow."

All the birth years you've listed are before the start of civil registration of births so you'll need to see if church records of baoptisms, etc. exist.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Closed Account

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the feedback, aghadowey.  I hadn't been aware of any records for either family in PRONI.  Unfortunately, the site just has a summary for this record and not the actual image with details.  It does give me a death date though, but based on past death records I have ordered from Ireland the names of parents and other family members were not included other than maybe someone just noted as an informant.  Based on the years, I'm assuming that Thomas was the brother of the Patrick McMahon noted next door to him in 1901. 

I will keep monitoring this thread in the hopes that people researching similar surnames or with other ideas re: avenues of research have information to share.  I have tried hunting through the Irish Family History Foundation site for church records but have not not had any success so far.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
'Administration of the estate' means that there was no Will.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline monsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi jml77

I come from Corratanty (Flanagan) and doing some work on my family tree. I was in the Valuation Office in Dublin this week and copied the records for my father's farm. So these records go back to about 1860 and here's the trail for McGuirk. Bear in mind, these are valuation records and not proof of ownership of the land.

OS 20

Map 1a & b changed hands from Alice McMahon to Peter McMahon in 1884. Area: 29A 2R 5P, and 5A 0R 25P respectively. Valuation £14 10s 0d and £3 0s 0d respectively.

1914 Plots combined in, still in name of Peter McMahon.

1918 Changed hands to Anne McGuirk

1938 Changed hands to Christopher McGuirk

1948 Changed hands to Edward McGuirk

1949 Changed hands to John James Flanagan (my father)

Hope this helps!

Monsy  ;)