Author Topic: Stewarts in Monaghan  (Read 3946 times)

Offline mes2art

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts in Monaghan
« on: Tuesday 28 May 13 16:11 BST (UK) »
Robert Stewart b. c. 1806 in Monaghan is my brickwall. He arrived in Canada about 1828 and lived in Aylmer, Quebec, across the river from Ottawa. My father was also Robert Stewart and family lore says that he was the 17th Robert in an unbroken line. Any help finding the Stewarts gratefully received!

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts in Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Since you have had no replays in three years, here goes.

I see the name Stewart a lot in County Down.  My Harrisons were in County Down in the late 1600s up to today.  Then in 1700 my branch came to County Monaghan.  Yours may have made a similar trip.  My Harrisons were Presbyterians, and I think your Stewarts were too, as twice we Harrisons married Stewarts. 

In Co. Down there is a website maintained by Ros Davies and you could look at her surname page under Stewart.
Harrison

Offline mes2art

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Polly. That's a real help. Do you know which parish or township your Harrisons lived in?

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 17 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware there are more Irish resources/records available online now than even a few years ago.

For example, and not necessarily linked to your 'Roberts', but British Army Pension records list discharge record for a Robert Stewart, born Currin, Monaghan, in 1770, who attested to the Dragoon Guards in 1816.

As another example, in 1820 a Robert Stewart married a Lucinda Clark in Clones, Monaghan.

That said, unfortunately it may never be possible to 'find' your particular line's origin.

Did Canadian documents yield any further clues?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .