Author Topic: Help deciphering and understanding a Probate Will of Edward Miles  (Read 747 times)

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering and understanding a Probate Will of Edward Miles
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been puzzling over a probate will that I think may be my g.g.g Grandfathers. I've been over a few times but cant understand all of the handwriting or indeed what a lot of the changes/information given means. Unlike other probates I have read it seems very muddled and unclear.

If anyone could give me some help on this it would be so much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Donna

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering and understanding a Probate Will
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
In itself the probate isn't unusual, but the form in which it is presented to the court is.

It consists of four parts:

1.   Instructions taken verbally by James Goren, solicitor, at the bedside of the testator Edward on (or in the days leading up to) 18 February 1828.  These instructions were intended to be prepared as a formal will to be executed by the testator in the presence of the usual credible witnesses in the usual manner.  However this didn't happen.  (Note that the date of this document is contradicted.  At the beginning it says 18 January 1828 but elsewhere it is referred to as being dated 18 February 1828.)

2.   Further instructions, taken verbally by James Goren, solicitor, at the bedside of the testator Edward on 14 June 1828.  Had the final will been prepared the contents of these further instructions were intended to be incorporated in that will.  As no final will was made, the further instructions became a codicil to the first set of instructions.

On or about 9 July 1828 Edward died, with the intended formal will unprepared and therefore (obviously) not executed.

The remaining parts are depositions used by the Court to establish the bona fides of documents 1) and 2), which now have to stand in place of the final will.

3.   George Holding and Richard Harris, two men who knew Edward's "manner and character of handwriting and Subscription" testified that whatever writing purported to be by Edward which appeared on the documents was indeed written by him.

4.   James Goren was deposed to testify that the two documents were indeed the documents that he "prepared and reduced into Writing...from the Verbal Instructions of the said Edward Miles" and further that all "Obliterations Interlineations and Alterations" appearing on the documents were made by him. He further testified that "...the said Will and Codicil were prepared as aforesaid as Instructions for a more formal Will intended to have been prepared therefrom and that such Instructions were executed by the said deceased in the presence of him the appearer as and for his last Will and Testament and a Codicil thereto and were intended by the said deceased to operate as such in Case of his death before he should execute the Will intended to be prepared therefrom..."  Finally he testified that no later will was made from the instructions.

If you need help with specific parts of the documents then post again to let us know which parts.

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi horselydown86,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me its very much appreciated.

I was trying to make out the names of Edwards sisters which he mentions.

I couldnt find the name of his wife unless I have overlooked something she seems to be named as just 'my wife' throughout.

I have a Hester Miles born 1826 in my tree and am trying to find more information on her father who is listed as Edward Miles a Sawyer on her Baptisim living at 3 Lisson Row. I havent found the family on the 1841 census as I believe they move to the Paddington area, and these census papers are currently missing. Edward does not appear on the 51 census nor as a witness at Hesters wedding where a William and Maria Miles sign as witnesses. I am guessing that Edward died sometime before her wedding and with carpenter/sawyer occupation in the right part of london was hoping that this might be him.

Many thanks,

Donna

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

Initially  the testator's brother William is mentioned, and the sisters a just that, sisters.  with a mention of their "respective husbands" (ie they're married).

In the section "Further Instructions" though,  he does name them as:
Martha HOOKER
Elizabeth CARRUTHERS

No such luck with his wife, mentioned only as 'wife'.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

Did you pick up the address of Edward's "...Messuage or Tenement and premises No 28 Little North Street Lisson Grove..."?  (See Further Instructions, 5 lines in.)

Not Lisson Row, but worth checking the distance between them on an old map.

Also, if you haven't already done so, search for these addresses in the London Gazette Online Archive, the British Newspaper Archive and the Sun Fire indexes (on London Metropolitan Archives website) to see what might pop up.