Author Topic: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.  (Read 24208 times)

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
More Captains and ship information from Newfoundland:

1677: Phillip Newell, Captain of the "Nicholas" out of Dartmouth. 90 tons with 56 men and 11 boats. (Boats were carried on deck for fishing)

1675: Nicholas Nowell, Captain of the "Brixham" out of Brixham. 80 tons with 60 men and 12 boats at Bonavista. 2 stages and 1 Train full. (A train is how Cod Oil was measured)

1676: Nicholas Newell at Harbour Grace. From Dartmouth with 30 men and 6 boats. Vessel particulars not recorded.

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 March 13 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Noel.good to get your info. I do have Richard son of Phillippe born 9/12/ 1594 on my tree, but there are also parish records of a Rycharde son of Phillippe who is buried in Brixham on 18/1/1602, and a Richard buried 28/5/1617. What was the evidence that Richard agent for John Slaney was the son of Phillippe?
On a recent stopover in Toronto I sent a request for information plus SAE. to Bonavista, but have heard nothing. It would be good to know if Nowell and Newell were interchangeable, did the Newells come from Dartmouth & the Nowells from Brixham, whether any Nowells settled there, whether any died there, I have no date for the death of Nicholas b. 1630. or his sons. Too many questions with no answers.
In Nov. you mention a post about Davies & Nowells in Tenby, where was that?

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 29 March 13 00:10 GMT (UK) »
My Davies and Nowell families, 1700-1890s, lived right on the front by
Tenby Harbour.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DYFED/1999-12/0945361795

Regarding Family Name spelling - Name changes here seem to be random. People came over often illiterate and without papers. Spelling was at the discretion of the recorder (Newell, Nowell, Noel, Noule, Nule, Neil, Noal, Knoll)

I will wait for a reply from my source of information regarding the family and Mr Slaney and may have him respond directly.

The source of Maritime info would be here:

http://www.mun.ca/mha/

I will check if if it is known whether the Newell info already provided is all they have.

Cheers

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 08 April 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
I must apologize. The connection of The Brixham Nowells to the Cooper's Cove settlement cannot be supported. I requested the post be removed but I am not sure if that is possible. If you wish to do further research on Newfoundland hold for a bit. They are doing a Remembrance event and monument for the sailors of this ship:

http://noelhistory.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/1831-john-newell-survives-wreck-of-azariah/

The researcher has promised to keep an eye out for Newells during his efforts at identifying the other members. Contact me via the website if you want any other suggestions on researching in NFLD.

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 27 February 14 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting Dartmouth petition here mentioning a Newfoundland connection again.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Dartmouth/MaryNowell1688.html

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:21 GMT (UK) »
This link from 1863 seems to indicate connections to both Dartmouth and Brixham at that time

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=027-1976_1&cid=-1#-1

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 29 May 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone but I'll throw it into the mix anyway...

I found a marriage of Mary Ann Nowell to Samuel Hamling 2/6/1848 at All Saints, Brixham. She was a spinster, of full age, the daughter of Nicholas Nowell, mariner. Samuel was also a mariner, son of Richard Hamling, thatcher.
In 1851 Samuel age 24 and Mary Ann age 28 were living on King Street, Brixham with 2 year old daughter Mahala (think this really refers to Amelia), and 1 year old daughter Sarah. Next door was Nicholas Nowell, widowed, age 51 and his married daughter Betsey Nowell age 26.
By 1861 they are living at Ramscombe, Brixham and Nicholas has moved in with them, they also have more children: Samuel age 9, Susan age 7, William age 5, Richard age 3 and Cornelius age 6 months.
In 1871 they have moved again and were living on Pump Street, Nicholas is no longer there. Samuel is a fisherman, Mary is a baker.

Some of Samuel's brothers and his parents had moved to Hull by the 1850's and were fishermen/mariners.

It is possible that Samuel's bride, Mary Ann Nowell, is the same person as the 15 year old Mary Knowell who on the 1841 census was a domestic servant and living in the household of Samuel's parents Richard and Elizabeth Hamling in King Street. (At that time Richard was a baker).

Also Samuel's mother Elizabeth (nee Coke) had a sister Susannah born in 1781. She married Edward Rouse 28/9/1800 at St Mary's, Brixham.
Could this be a connection to the Rowse family??

Anyway hope this is of use to someone!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 29 May 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome Sarah.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post information surrounding this HAMLING / NOWELL marriage in 1848.

You are absolutely correct that  Elizabeth Coke who married Richard Hamling, was the sister of Susannah Coke who married Edward Rowse in 1800.

I have traced Susannah's ancestors and descendants for several generations, so if you have an interest and I can help please do let me know.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 29 May 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I haven't gone back very far with the Coke family. I know that Susannah and Elizabeth were the daughters of William Coke and Susanna Gibbons, who married in 1775 at St Mary's Brixham. I also have baptism dates for William and Susanna's other children. Susanna Gibbons was born in 1753, the daughter of William Gibbons and Susanna Pulsever who married in 1752.
That's as far as I have gone so far so any other info would be great.
Do you happen to know where the Hamling family came from?
I have got Elizabeth's husband, Richard Hamling, born in Brixham in 1797 son of Richard Hamling and Ann Smale (or Small) who married in 1787. I have siblings for Richard but no trace of where Richard senior came from. There are some Ancestry trees which show him coming from Widecombe but I'm not sure...

best wishes
Sarah