Author Topic: Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie  (Read 15946 times)

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
G'Day Jaykim.  I thank you for this information and I think I  can help out clearing up a few issues for you regarding Rev John MacIntyre.  I will PM you with some headstone photos I took last year whilst in the area.  Rob

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Jaykim

Sorry about the above intending  PM.  I didn't realize unable to send photos on PM's.  Will arrange same shortly via this thread.   Rob

Offline Camusnaherie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 February 14 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Replying to your request for information on Rev. Duncan MacIntyre and his son Rev. John MacIntyre.
I am the g g g grandson of Duncan MacIntyre.
John had a son Duncan and he had son Ian and he had son Alastair who was my father.
If you want a fuller history of the MacIntyres I suggest you go to www.electricscotland.com.
The Chief of the Clan is Donald MacIntyre of Glenoe who lives in America and is a recluse who has no interest in the Clan.
My father was appointed by the Lord Lyon in 1955 to be the 16th Chief of the MacIntyres of Camus-na-h-Erie. In 2008 the MacIntyres had a Gathering in Glenoe on the shores of Loch Etive to which about 500 clansmen and women came including many from Australia. Also  and the Great Homcoming in 2009 in Edinburgh our clan had a tent and welcomed visitors from all over the world.
Somewhere there do exist portraits of Rev Duncan and a sketch of his burial at Ballachulish and if they ever come to light I'll let you have a copy. He looked like a well fed and jolly chap!

I can't work out your name otherwise I would address you more personally

Best regards, Ian MacIntyre.

Offline Jaykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 February 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply.  I have actually got all that information already probably from electricscotland.  Must be great being part of such a well documented Clan.  As you can see from my post, I am only a distant relation and I am actually in Clan Fraser.  I am pretty sure I have most of the MacIntye family documented now. Thank you again

Offline millmerrin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 February 14 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,  I think we may have some crossed wires here.  Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reply to my original post.  I think we are on the right track re Rev Duncan McIntyre, although, He is buried with his wife, Jane in the old Kilmallie Churchyard, not at Ballaculish, unless they are the same locations!!.  I visited Kilmallie three years ago and located and recorded their Headstone in pictures which I can forward to you, however, unable to post on this site.  If you do find the Photos of Rev. Duncan, I would be very grateful if you would share them with me.  Kind regards,   Robert McIntyre

Offline Camusnaherie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have got the burial mixed up with Rev John!
The Rev Duncan is indeed my g g g grandfather and lived at the manse at Spean Bridge and there is a plaque on the side of the house with the names of Duncan and his wife.
I'm still trying to locate the portrait.
Get in touch if you are ever in Scotland.

Regards Ian.

PS what is our relationship?

Offline Peny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 April 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
I was interested to read the postings by JayKim & Ian regarding Rev Duncan McIntyre (MacIntyre) of Kilmallie who was the son of John McIntyre of Camusnaherie.  My Great (4x) grandmother was Flora McIntyre (who married John Cameron of Blarachaoruinn) and who according to a letter written by my Gt Gt Grandfather, Alexander Cameron was the cousin of Rev Duncan McIntyre of Kilmallie.  This makes her the sister of John McIntyre of Camusnaherie.  I have been trying to find the siblings of John McIntyre to see if I can piece together who her parents were.  Short of going to the National Archives in Edinburgh, which is a wee bit far from NZ, do you have any ideas or can point me in the right direction?  Obviously the further back you go the harder it is. 
Many thanks
Penny

Offline Jaykim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 April 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Peny

Most of the information that I have has been given to me and I have no documents to prove that the information is correct. You will have to trust my informant!  My sources are:

1. Family Search Community Tree Rev John MacIntyre
2. Somerled MacMillan, Bygone Lochaber

John McIntyre of Camusnaherie, Lochaber, Scotland was married to Margaret MacDonald
Their children:
Ewen McIntyre
Alexander McIntyre
Reverand Duncan McIntyre
Fanny McIntyre
Jean McIntyre
Catherine McIntyre

According to my source, Somerled MacMillan, Bygone Lochaber, the parents of  John McIntyre of Camusnaherie, Lochaber, Scotland who was married to Margaret MacDonald, were Duncan McIntyre and Mary MacKenzie and the had the following children:
John McIntyre (above)
Donald McIntyre
Female McIntyre - could this be your Flora?

I suggest you google Somerled MacMillan, Bygone Lochaber and if I remember correctly it is a book that can be purchased from a museum but this was 2 years ago and I have no other information except for the line that connects to my own family. Don't know if that helps any.
Jackie

Offline Peny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 April 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie
Thank you for getting back to me and for the information which confirms what I have found so far and yes it does help.  I agree it is hard when you have no documents of proof.  I have Somerled MacMillan’s, Bygone Lochaber which is a great reference book and have been using the Family Search Community Tree but not sure of its accuracy.  John McIntyre 10th of Camusnaherie, it has one of his children as Flora and no Catherine, other records have Catherine and no Flora.  If Flora is correct I am pretty sure she is mine as it is stated she was the cousin of Rev Duncan Cameron therefore her father would have had to have been the brother of John McIntyre 10th.  It all gets very complicated and I have had to write it all on a very large piece of paper.  Unwilling to add it to the family tree at this point.

Because I have no original documents I have been checking from all available sources to compare.  Two more which you may find interesting is the Am Baile Digital Library.  There are volumes of “Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness.”  In Volume 18 I found an article on the Macintyres of Glennoe and it was written in 1893.  Here is the link, not sure if it will work from here.
https://archive.org/details/transactions18gaeluoft

I also have the book No Quarter Given which is the muster roll of Prince Charles Army 1745-46.  Which tells a little about the MacDonalds family of the Margaret who married John McIntyre 10th.

A few years ago I purchased the Tombstone Inscriptions on the Burial Isle of St Munda (Eilean Munde).  It is not indexed so while I read it looking for my Cameron ancestors I indexed it.  I am happy to look someone up if that would be useful to you.  In it I found quite a few of the MacIntyres.  Peter MacIntyre R.N., nephew of Rev Duncan laid a significant headstone with many names and dates.  Bless him for that!

In Bygone Lochaber on page 107, he has missed out 3 names in the lineage back to Patrick.  One source gave them as John William & Duncan 4, 5, & 6.  But those names were also 7, 8, & 9.  Intriguing,  more digging I think.
Regards
Penny