Author Topic: *COMPLETE* I'm stuck!! Help please...  (Read 12873 times)

Offline HeatherL

• I am sorry my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I'm stuck!! Help please...
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 May 09 02:43 BST (UK) »
Stop press!!!

Andy, I just found a Thomas Snadden, born Dec 1882 to Robert Snaddon and Catherine, who's name is just as undecipherable as margaret's on marriage cert, but the name looks kinda similar.
Snaddon (and variations... of which there appear to be many...)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 May 09 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi HeatherL

Relationships on censuses are to the head of the household ie Robert so in 1891 Margaret was Roberts wife and all the children were sons or daughters of Robert and in 1881 Catherine was Roberts wife.  The fact that the children may have had different mothers is irrelavent, Robert (as far as we know) was the father of them all.

The mothers maiden name name on the marriage certificate says HARROWER. As I said in an earlier message I suspect that an error has been made on the certificate and that the mother should be CATHERINE HARROWER. If you download the birth certificate of Thomas this should confirm it, and I suspect Margaret is the mother of Peter and George so a copy of one of their birth certificates should give you Margarets maiden surname.

Unfortunately errors can occur on certificates in fact an incorrect mothers name is the cause of one of my brickwalls. As its the minister who registers a marriage he may have made a mistake.

Just seen your other messages, as censuses, except for 1841, were conducted late march, early april an 8 yo in 1891 would have been born between early April 1882 and early april 1883 so a Dec 1882 would be 8yo in the 1891 census.

As a number of records appear to have an E as the second last letter rather than an O your best bet would be to use SNADD*N which would pick up both options.

Andy

Offline HeatherL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 May 09 03:03 BST (UK) »
Just found Mary Snaddon, born 28th July 1897 to Robert Snaddon and Margaret Brown. Can't find Maggie's birth cert though. Would maggie be the official name on her birth cert? I would have though that it would be a nick-name...

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 May 09 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whilst Maggie is sometimes used as a name it is more often a nickname for Margaret so it looks like BROWN was Margarets maiden name. Have a look for a marriage in Clackmannanshire 1883 to 1891 between Robert SNADD*N and Margaret BROWN.

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 May 09 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

SP has the following death in 1922 at Tillicoultry which is a likely candidate for Margaret

Margaret SNADDON, other name BROWN age 67

SP also has the following marriage in 1884 at Dunblane (Perthshire)

Robert SNADDON and Maggie BROWN

Dunblane is only about 9 miles from Tillicoultry.

The 1881 census has a Maggie BROWN born Kilmadock, Perthshire c1856 living in Tillcoultry and the IGI has a Margaret BROWN, father Peter, mother Jean MCDEARMID born Kilmadock 9th April 1855

Andy

Offline HeatherL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 May 09 07:24 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to track down birth certs for the children that robert and margaret had. At the moment, we actually have a couple of contenders for margaret.

Marriage in 1883 to Margaret Allan in Tillicoultry
1884 to Maggie Brown in Dunblane, Perthshire
1886 to Margaret Hynd in Alloa

So far, I have a mary snaddon, born to robert and margaret BROWN in 1897 (matches known child). Also a Margaret born in 1895 (could be maggie?) to robert and margaret ALLEN

According to 1901 and 1891 census, Margaret (wife) was born in killin, Perthshire

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 May 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I dont think its ALLAN as in the 1891 census the younger Robert & Margaret SNADDON living in Tillicoultry have a David ALLAN, grandfather, grandpa in the household. I think he would be Margarets father. Mind you, if the 2 SNADDON families are related then you can't be sure what aan older person would be referred as. You could download the 1883 SNADD*N/ALLAN marriage as the ages shold identify which couple they are

Andy

Offline HeatherL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETE* Re: I'm stuck!! Help please...
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 May 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
We have a winner :)

Maggie Brown it is, married to Robert in  1884. The marriage cert lists robert as a widower, both are older than the average marriage, and Roberts parents are the same (right down to mum's maiden name) on both marriage certs.

Thanks andy, really appreciate all your help!!! Thanks too maria.
   Don't know what I would have done without your help, I probably would have spent months trying to unravel this one!! :)

Offline sallysnaddon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETE* I'm stuck!! Help please...
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 March 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have the family tree you are looking for.
go onto GenesReunited and search for elizabeth moir or one of the other names.  my name is sally snaddon