Author Topic: All Saints, Newcastle, William hay  (Read 19111 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints, Newcastle, William hay
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your message. We should have a lot of different info. to exchange i.e. I will PM you with my email.

A quick run through though from my 1st Lunn relative.

My ggrandmother Jane Ann Donohoe (several variants) was daughter of Elizabeth Lunn & James Donohoe.

I will give you the direct Lunn's without the wives for now just to give you the picture.

Elizabeth 1853 (gg g/mother)
Frederick 1830 (ggg g/father)
Frederick c1794(gggg g/father)
John c1764 (ggggg g/father)

Regards,

Anne Marie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 May 13 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all with an interest in the Lunn family of Newcastle c1812 onwards or backwards and Edward Savage and his wife Ann.
My main focus of interest is my maternal line where it crosses with yours  with, Margery Lunn who married William Hay and Mary Lunn nee Robson who was married to John Lunn, tailor of Harbottle. I have become quiet interested in how and why the family, once their father John Lunn died, all seemed to move to Newcastle. I am currently putting together all the bits of information I have from different sources and you may be interested in a thread about Ridley Villas which I posted and have had a lot of useful and helpful information. Both John and James Lunn lived in this row of houses which No 1/2 is still in Newcastle, Mary Lunn their mother died there. Frederick Lunn was running a pub called the Phoenix inn in Spicer Lane, opening on to the Quayside in 1827, which his brother John was ran in 1822, I believe the pub changed its name later to the Burns Tavern, and unfortunately is part of the foundations of the law courts now. I will have the opportunity to visit Newcastle within the 2/3 weeks and do some research in the library. I have recently received some documentation from the Northumberland archive's at Woodhorn about property that was owned by James Lunn in Harbottle and it helped me identify their mother’s maiden name as definitely Robson and gave a name to their mothers sister as well. I have lots of little bits of information about the Lunn family once they all got to Newcastle which may be of interest if you have not already got them. I am interested to find out where Frederick and John Lunn were buried, its on my 'to find list' when I visit Newcastle. Is there any thing specific you are stuck with that I might be able to help?
Carol

Offline dlunn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 May 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - your:

Frederick c1794(gggg g/father)

Is my ggg g/father!

Frederick c1794 (ggg g/father)
John Ramsey Lunn c1818/19 (gg g/father)
James Lunn 1859 (g g/father)
GO Lunn 1923 (g/father)

Dave.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 May 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

It will be interesting to exchange info as I don't think I have any ifnfo. on that branch at all ?
This will make you my 4th cousin with 1 remove.
It's always exciting when you get a new contact whether from a line you have info. on or not.
I think you need 3 posts before we can PM

A M
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dlunn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 May 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
I will have to post some more detail later then ! :)

Offline dlunn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 May 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
So a bit more detail - we have:

Frederick Lunn 4/5/1794 = Elizabeth Harrison (m. 5/2/1816 St. Andrew's, Newcastle)
 - John Ramsey 14/5/1820
 - Elizabeth 3/4/1822
 - Margaret Robson 19/9/1825
 - Frederick 23/5/1830
 - Ann 22/5/1837
(all christening dates)

John Ramsey Lunn = Jane Hindmarch (m. 23/6/1844 Heworth Parish Church, Gateshead)
 - 12 children including:
 - John Thomas 6/12/1857 (Shipowner)
 - James Lunn 3/10/1859 (Builder and contractor)
 - Sir George Lunn 26/11/1861 (Shipowner and merchant)

James Lunn = Mary Ann Oliver (m. 15/11/1880 St Mary's, Heworth, Gateshead)
 - Ada (1881)
 - Barbara Annie (1883)
 - James Percy (1889)
 - Nora (1891)
 - George Oliver (1893)
 - Thomas Oliver (1896)
 - Elsie (1898)
 - Margaret (1901)

George Oliver is my grandfather.

John Ramsey's family was quite interesting and did quite well in the Newcastle area - one of them was involved in the early stages of Newcastle United football club!

Offline nigeldavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Carol20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
welcome dlunn

I am finally going to have a day at the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn, to see if I can get more information on the Lunn family in Harbottle. If I can be of help in your research just ask, Frederick Lunn interests me as he seems to be the first to work at the pub in Spicer lane, Newcastle, but how did he get to that stage... the family all seem to have left Harbottle after the death of their father John in 1803. Also do you know where Frederick  is buried and his brother John? I'll be staying in Newcastle so might be able to find find and photo the grave.

Carol

Offline dlunn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 June 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol - well it would be interesting to see a transcript of the 1762 militia list for Harbottle. There were 9 able bodied men listed there I believe - was a Lunn one of them? Since John was born in Harbottle 2 years later, that might give us a father.

According to the information I have received from Mike Bertram, John and Mary's son John was the first listed in the Phoenix in Pigot and Co. directory 1822, unless you have something earlier? John was buried 7/11/1852 in Newcastle General Cemetery (again from Mike's information, provided to him by John Lochen I believe.) I don't have anything on Frederick's burial at the moment...

Dave.