Author Topic: Hearth Tax Online  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hearth Tax Online
« on: Monday 30 June 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
Having found the Durham and North Yorkshire entries on Hearth Tax Online very useful, I was looking forward to the publication of the Northumberland records. For a long time the site has announced that these were "coming soon". However, now all mention of Northumberland has disappeared from the site and there is no suggestion that any new records will appear there.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Have they lost their funding?
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hearth Tax Online
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
There is an email address on the site, you could mail and ask them?

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
No entry on their blog since December 2013, so maybe things have ground to a halt.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
Yes. I had noticed that, so it did make me wonder.
And...yes, I'll try contacting them by email, but sometimes you seem to get more info by taking advantage of Rootschatters' wide range of knowledge and contacts than by going through official channels.

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
I sent an email to the address on the Hearth Tax website first thing this morning. When (if) I receive a reply, I shall post it here.

Mag

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 July 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
I have had a very helpful reply from Dr John Price, who is in charge of the Hearth Tax project. The good news is that the project is secure and work on hearth tax records continuing. The bad news is that the Northumberland records are unlikely to appear until after 2017.

The British Record Society only allows the records to be put online 18 months after the hard copy is published. The project hoped to reduce this time limit and the signs had seemed good, hence the "coming soon" after Northumberland on their website. However, their hopes have been dashed, so they thought it better to to stop listing Northumberland on their website.

Mag

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Did they say where and when the hard copy would be available?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 July 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
I have had a very helpful reply from Dr John Price, who is in charge of the Hearth Tax project. The good news is that the project is secure and work on hearth tax records continuing. The bad news is that the Northumberland records are unlikely to appear until after 2017.

The British Record Society only allows the records to be put online 18 months after the hard copy is published. The project hoped to reduce this time limit and the signs had seemed good, hence the "coming soon" after Northumberland on their website. However, their hopes have been dashed, so they thought it better to to stop listing Northumberland on their website.

Mag

Really pleased that you have a reply. I am a firm believer in asking the 'source' about a problem. That way we get a definitive response ( though I do agree that we have a wealth of expertise and info in here)
Northumberland Archives seem to be very [over] protective of their records. My own, personal opinion, is that I understand the need to balance the requirements of funding against the needs of those who are interested in the records, but that they miss the opportunity that many other archives have taken in making their records available in an easy access ( though chargeable) format.
I look forward to the day when they digitise all the records and make them available at a market price cost on the web. That would benefit both the interested parties and the archives' income.

Boo

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at these Hearth Tax records on-line and cannot find an exact definition of the terms "paying" and "non solvants".

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE