Author Topic: Andrew Oliver - Northumberland  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Oliver - Northumberland
« on: Monday 14 July 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Andrew Oliver is a fairly common name and so far I have connected up 11 of them with relationships to me in my tree. Those that interest me most are in my direct lines.

My Oliver line starts with my great great grandmother Mary Oliver, born 12 Aug 1842 in Netherton to Andrew Oliver and Margaret Watson, married 30 May 1840 in Morpeth. From their marriage certificate I know that Andrew's father is Thomas Oliver.

Based on census information my 3rd great grandfather Andrew Oliver was born around 1818 at Hepscott, so I think he may have been baptized 8 Jun 1817 in Morpeth to Thomas Oliver and Alice.

Trying to track them down, the closest I can find is the marriage of Thomas Oliver and Alice Carr in Wallsend 15 May 1808. This fascinates me as it may well lead to a connection with Carrs in that area that I have on the other side of my family.

Moving on from there to look for parents for Thomas I think a possible match could be
- Baptism in Hartburn, 17 March 1786 to Andrew Oliver and Sarah??

There are, however, Olivers in the Tynemouth area and that might fit better with the marriage to Alice Carr.

So what I am trying to figure out is:
- Are Thomas Oliver and Alice Carr my 4th great grandparents?
- Are Andrew Oliver and Sarah my 5th great grandparents and if so, who was Sarah?

Any advice welcomed, whether it supports or shoots down my logic so far :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Oliver - Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Now having some doubts about Thomas Oliver born 1786 in Hartburn being the husband of Alice Carr as I have found a tree on ancestry that shows him marrying Ann Thompson in Ponteland in 1812.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage index for Northumberland for 1813 to 1837 which, apart from a slight hiccup in Elsdon, is complete.

Thomas and Alice should show up in there.

Christine

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine. I have been struggling to make sense of the Northumberland marriages on findmypast since they revamped the site. I am not having any luck trying to search on the combination of Thomas Oliver and Alice. I have been ploughing through looking at individual Thomas Oliver marriage records but am no wiser as the majority (other than those that are in Boyd´s index) do not seem to give the wife´s name. Maybe I am missing something fundamental in my searching technique, but I don´t seem to be getting anywhere. I thought the Northumberland marriages had both names in the previous version of findmypast, but maybe I remember wrongly. The Thomas Oliver and Alice Carr marriage that I found came from familysearch.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Does your list of Andrew Oliver's include

Name:   Andrew Oliver
Christening Date:   15 Mar 1748
Christening Place:   Bellingham, Northumberland, England
Father's Name:   Richard Oliver

who was the son of this couple

Name:   Richard Oliver
Spouse's Name:   Mary Hedley
Event Date:   31 Oct 1741
Event Place:   Chollerton,Northumberland,England
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
No davidft, that particular Andrew Oliver is not yet connected in to my tree. He could, however, be a potential candidate for possible 5x great grandfather Andrew Oliver married to Sarah and father of William, Andrew and Thomas. Best guess I have on a birth date for him is sometime before 1759 as William was born 1777. This would make an Andrew 1748 a reasonable match.

Thanks, I will take a closer look at him and his parents Richard and Mary.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:23 BST (UK) »
Have you tried trawling through here to look for original images in case they give further information:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/018gt/
(unsure of coverage or accuracy, or amount of information given at that time)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Ruskie.

The BT entry for the baptism of my Andrew Oliver 8 Jun 1817 gives his parents as Thomas and Alice of Hepscot Moor. Thomas is a hind. No additional useful info on there and it is correct as I checked that one at Woodhorn the last time I was in the UK.

The Wallsend BT starts in 1813 so that still leaves me with a leap of faith to find the right Thomas and Alice as the marriage I am considering was in 1808.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 00:57 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked for my own family on the Familysearch site for ages, but I remember there being gaps and pages in wrong order.

I had a quick look for your Thomas's baptism in Hartburn, 17 March 1786 but after about 1783/4 there appeared to be a missing year or two and nothing from 1786.

I noted that the only additional information seemed to be abode, which can sometimes come in handy. Anyway, it was late so I didn't continue the search ....