Author Topic: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850  (Read 19770 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
As to Richard's inquest papers - yes I was lucky enough to find them.

No, No. No.  ;D  I am referring not to the Inquest, but to the NSW Supreme Court's file for the Intestate papers .... the administration of the deceased estate in the absence of a valid will ....  :)   :)  :)  :) do you have these ....  and if so, who handled the administration, and does the file have any further info about Richard Hugh JONES .... the Deceased Estate files can often be "this" thick .... some can be several 'packets' .... and in some instances, contain BDM certificates submitted to the NSW Supreme Court for proof of a relationship to the deceased....   :)   There are some instances where the files are only a couple of slips of paper, but often the files are truly the delightful source of valid family history details.

If you do NOT have the Intestate File, then you could pop a request on the Australian Board and ask for one of the several very kind RChatters who may be going to Kingswood (outer western suburb of Sydney NSW) to perhaps photograph the file for you when they are next out there.   

PS I added more info to my post  :-X while you were posting some kind words  :-[  :-[

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the Index for the NSW Coroners’ Inquests and notice that Richard H JONES is listed there as “About 40” and that it was not known where he was born.  This suggests to me that he was away from home, working when he became ill, and that none of those travelling with him knew much about his origins…. So perhaps no one heard an accent in his voice….   His possessions at the time of death (from Heart Disease) were recorded as “£3.10.0 in cash,  1 bay horse, saddle and bridle, Waterbury watch & chain, Wearing apparel and a sheep dog”  These are all items I would expect a drover to own.  He died 18 May 1893 at Redbank, near Moree, and the inquest was held 23rd May.    The NSW Govt Gazette’s Annual returns for Inquests (20 Feb 1894, No. 109)  notes the Value of the Property possessed by the Deceased as “About £12”

Cheers,  JM  (I will be back at my home by Friday, so I will have a better look then)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello JM
Apologies as I wrote the incorrect word - should have said intestate papers but was rushing to get the dinner on - I purchased what they had and unfortunately there wasn't any information about Richard's family or his background.

There was some info between his wife and her father as they attempted to obtain Richard's effects which was interesting.  He was droving at the time of his death and I am assuming he must have had the heart attack or similar away from home and as you point out no one knew who he was.  He left a young family.
I will go back to your other post and save that as it really is very helpful!  You must have been at this for a while.

I appreciate your input and it is great to have someone as experienced as you on the hunt as well! :)
Kindest regards
Mxmar0

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:51 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look into his emigration ... anything to tie him to Aus pre-1877 wedding?

From Angus MIs, Newtyle
church vault
'Hugh Watson for 55y tent Keillor b. Bannatyne 4.10.1787 d. the Den Perth 10.11.1865, w Margt Rose 7.3.1805 1.11.1866; Hugh Watson was one of the founders of the famous Aberdeen Angus breed of cattle'
'Richard Jackson Jones, w Margt 18.5.1854 (da of Hugh Watson)
cemetary
'Geo Watson esq Bannatyne House, w Jean Rose sole heiress of ancient families of Moray and Kinnaird of Culbin; 'all who knew her loved her''
I think further research would show George Watson was father of Hugh.

Also found some potential links between Hugh Watson and Australia which may be of interest:
a son? James Watson, detailed below (although Hugh and Margaret Rose married in 1824 so if he is a son it's a son from a different marriage)
http://www.flemingtonheritage.org.au/people/james-watson/
and another son, Patrick Watson, several trees for him on A/try, married in QLD in 1876, died in QLD 1883

Hello Gali

Is there any date for "'Geo Watson esq Bannatyne House, w Jean Rose sole heiress of ancient families of Moray and Kinnaird of Culbin; 'all who knew her loved her''"

I am also interested in the name Rose for two marriages one being a marriage to George Watson - Jean Rose & Hugh Watson - Margaret Rose - I am wondering if these might be 2 brothers marrying from the same family ergo wondering about the dates.

Also does the date referred to in the following apply to Richard or Margaret and is it a date of death or burial or neither?  "'Richard Jackson Jones, w Margt 18.5.1854 (da of Hugh Watson)"

Thanks once again
Mxmar0

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:57 BST (UK) »
Have just found that George Watson & Jean Rose were Hugh Watson grandparents; now I just have to find who Hugh Watson's parents were then I will be able to link them!!!!  ;D

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
The MI information is from 'Angus Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855' ed Alison Mitchell, as far as I know not yet digitised or available online but can be bought from Tay Valley Family History Society online shop.
http://www.tayvalleyfhs.org.uk/
The edition covering Newtyle Cemetary is 'volume 1 Strathmore'

George Watson, husband of Jean Rose died in 1813
This is mentioned in 'Epitaphs and Inscriptions', ed Andrew Jervise a version of which is available online:
http://archive.org/stream/epitaphsinscript00jerv/epitaphsinscript00jerv_djvu.txt

The date in the information about Richard (Jackson Jones) and Margaret (Rose) I think is her date of death

Yes, I wondered about the 'Rose' surname appearing twice, well worth investigating

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 September 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
Just reading back and realised that you might not know that you can download death certificates for deaths in Scotland registered from 1855 onwards via Scotland's People website on a pay per view basis.  These death certificates should give you parents names so you should be able to find out more info from the death certificates of Richard Jackson Jones who died in 1855, Hugh Watson who died in 1865 and Margaret Rose Watson who died in 1866.  Hope that helps.

I also realised that in the book of Newtyle MIs, amongst the other 'Watsons' buried in the church vault (and the entry immediately below that of Richard Jackson Jones and Margaret Watson) there is a 'Wm Watson d Auchtertyre 3.12.1830 71, w Janet Wilkie 2.5.1835 81' (the dates immediately after the names are the date of deaths, the figures 71 and 81 are the ages at the time of their deaths).  Likely candidates for Hugh's parents?

Also, I found a drawing of Hugh Watson, you'll need to scroll down to the sixth page of this book:
http://www.electricscotland.com/agriculture/fieldfernnorth.pdf

Finally, a biography of Hugh Watson, written by one of his daughters, an interesting read!
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BzLOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA477&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 September 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Gali
Thank you so very much for such superb finds and the photo of Hugh is just beautiful!  I read the story written by one of his daughters and it was superb!
I will continue to follow the leads you have so kindly provided and will purchase some records as you have identified.
Kind regards
Mxmar0

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
And here is a bit more on the Jones family:

19 June 1846 Liverpool Mercury
'Friday last Richard J. Jones, Esq,, Drumkilbo, Perthshire, grandson of the late Richard Jones, Esq., Rodney-street, to Miss Watson'

1 Jan 1840 Blackburn Standard
'at Lower Bebington, Cheshire, aged 82, Richard Jones, late of Rodney St, Liverpool, of Demerara'

7 Feb 1834 Liverpool Mercury
'Mr John Bally, iron-merchant, to Mary Ann, youngest daughter of Richard Jones, Esq., Rodney-street, Liverpool'

Found 1851 census entry (HO107/ 2175/752 p 20) in Tranmere for John Bally and wife Mary born 1801 Demerara, living with their children and her mother, Mary Jones, born 1771 Longdon, Worcester and sister Elizabeth born 1800 Barbados. 

And 1841 census entry (HO107/125/3/ 9 p 13 Bebington Cheshire in Bebington, Cheshire for Mary Jones, born 1776 with Elizabeth again and also with the young Richard aged 15 plus two fo the Bally children.

LDS/IGI Index has
England, Cheshire, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1606-1900
Richard Jones, aged 21, Widower and Mary Devereux, aged 21, Spinster
22 Dec 1796

Plus
Mary Devereux, born 9 Sept 1770, Longdon by Upton on Severn, father Joseph Devereux, mother Ann