Author Topic: John PHILLIPS married Mary Ann REES...Census etc  (Read 17370 times)

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John PHILLIPS married Mary Ann REES...Census etc
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale, this is 1851 Census:-

John Phillips 33 occ Ag Lab b Castlemartin Pembrokeshire.
Mary 33
James 10
John 9
William 7
Lydia 5
Mary 3
Elizabeth 7 months
Residing at Broom Hill, Angle, Pembrokeshire.
All other than shown b Angle
Census Ref HO107/2476/564/6
Keyboard86

Hi, just spotted the above and wondered if there was a connection to my Phillips family from Castlemartin
I have John Phillips born 1781 married to Alice Duggan born 1781 ( probably in Angle)They lived at Castlemartin.  I received photos of Moor Cottages in Castlemartin from another contact on Rootsweb.
They had 7 children and one of them was daughter Ann born 1820. Ann married William Rees in 1851.They had a son George born 1853. If they belong to your family I should love to have news.

Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Prue
I definitely think we have a connection! Right now I am struggling  to reintroduce  programs after my computer  suffered an elcectrical short during foul weather!
Bear with me for a few days and I'll get back to you!
Regards
A probable Kiwi cuzzie!!
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Prue
I definitely think we have a connection! Right now I am struggling  to reintroduce  programs after my computer  suffered an elcectrical short during foul weather!
Bear with me for a few days and I'll get back to you!
Regards
A probable Kiwi cuzzie!!
Dale
Look forward to your news.
Regards,
Prue from UK
Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Prue
I have reinstated my family tree! I do have a JOHN  PHILLIPS married to an ALICE with the birth/baptism of a John PHILLIPS baptised  18 Jan 1818 Castlemartin but didn't have Alice's surname.

John Phillips Jnr married Mary Ann Rees 18 July 1840 and had possibly 11 children.  John  & Mary Ann with family emigrated aboard the "Gertrude" 18 Feb 1868 to Petone New Zealand and then moved north to settle as Farmers near Wanganui.

I guess it's highly likely that my John and your Ann were siblings and possibly married REES siblings! Descendant family of John lives about 500 metres down the road from me! My connection is by marriage.

I'll send a PM with my emal addy so we can "discuss" further!
Regards
Dale

Regards
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline Dutch Uncle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale

I hope you don't mind me entering this thread. I was first interested because I have two John and Mary Phillips in my ancestry from South Pembrokeshire. My John Snr was born in 1797 in Tenby and married Mary born in Carew in 1805 (I don't know her maiden name). They had a son John born 1842 who married Mary Jane Thomas. However I am sure John Jnr did not go to NZ since I have a picture of him in ca 1904 with Mary and their 10 children at Hollybush farm near Tenby. So I am sure we are not talking about the same family.

But then I remembered something else. I visited an old university friend in New Zealand about 25 years ago in Matamata. Among the places he took me was to a farm nearby run by a lady called Nan Phillips who I seem to remember came from Wales (that's why I was taken there). I never discovered if Nan was short for Nancy or that she was a grandmother. Might this have been one of your family? 

Not any help to you at all, but I would be interested to know if she was related to your deputation from Pembrokeshire

Regards

Brian
Witherden - Kent
James/Phillips/Thomas/Hitchings - Pembrokeshire
Turley - Lancashire

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 August 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Tena Koe Brian
I'm afraid I cannot answer your query re NAN PHILLIPS. I have not yet traced all the descendants of my John and wife Mary Ann nee Rees. I am as certain as I can be that my John born 1818 married M.A. REES as the name Rees is used as a forename in later generations.
Interesting though as I have a John born to the above couple baptised 3 April 1842 at Angle Pembrokeshire. Perhaps they were cousins? Descended from one of the 7 children Prue has in her line?

I have no personal knowledge of any of these ancestors - one of  my grandmother's sisters married a Phillips  and I am simply helping the present generation sort out their heritage! It is quite possible some of them went to live around the Waikato.

If you google NZ Historical BDMs and put in Nancy Phillips + death after 1980 you will see several options- all have birth dates listed so you may be able to tell by her approximate age 25 years ago when you met her.

Sorry I cannot help further at this time!
Hope you enjoyed AOTEAROA!
Dale

Offline Dutch Uncle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 August 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Dale

My John Phillips (jnr) was born in 1842 in Begelly, which is about 15 miles from Angle, so maybe cousins. However there do seem to have been many many Phillips in South Pembrokeshire at that time.

Good luck with the rest of your queries and hopefully you will make some interesting contacts

Cheers

Brian
Witherden - Kent
James/Phillips/Thomas/Hitchings - Pembrokeshire
Turley - Lancashire

Offline Paul London

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Folks.
I've just "surfed" into your respective threads you posted a few years ago regarding the Phillips family from Castlemartin in South Wales.   By strange coincidence while reviewing my wife’s family tree – the Dunn family - I see her grandmother Charlotte Gertrude Dunn MBE, JP (nee Phillips) was the daughter of James and Charlotte Phillips (nee Sooby).   James, as you’ll recognise was the eldest son of John and Mary Anne Phillips (nee Rees), the very people you’re all talking about.   Your respective conversations have opened up new horizons for me and I was wondering (with what little information I have gathered from those members of the NZ Phillips family that the Dunns maintain contact with) I might be of assistance to you folks?   Kind regards Paul (posted 1st July 2014)

Offline Prue

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 June 14 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I  received your information about James Phillips today. I had not discovered James' wife, so I was pleased to learn that James had married Charlotte Sooby. I had stopped researching family history some time ago as I just kept hitting the brick walls! Its good to refresh my memory and look at my research again so thank you for the wake-up call! if I can be of any assistance please do contact again.
 Kind regards, Prue
Johns, Newport
 Johns,Baglan
  Davies,Briton Ferry,
Phillips,Castlemartin