Author Topic: An Old Miner  (Read 1723 times)

Offline MarksWife

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad
    • View Profile
An Old Miner
« on: Monday 15 September 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching a miner and his family up to 1911.  He is a coal miner hewer and I have found out what that job means for him.  He lived in Audenshaw, Lancs and  as I don't know this area myself I was wondering if anyone could hazaard a guess as to which mine he could have been working in please? Even if anyone knows of the closest mine to him for me to look into would be interesting. 

I don't know if there is a database of mine workers at all?

Thank you for any help.
Markswife
Millson & Johnson - Bradfield, Berks.  Vine & Butcher - Norfolk. Haines & Collier - Oxfordshire/Berkshire. Duffin & Wynn - Tilehurst, Berkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An Old Miner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
There are loads of lancashire mines listed here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collieries_in_Lancashire_since_1854

Just tab down the page and select the township concerned. In this case - try Manchester.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
There is also an excellent site for mining disasters (not a very cheerful subject I'm afraid) -- but is useful if you ever have an ancestor involved in a mining accident.

http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/disasters/

Places of interest;

Offline MarksWife

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 September 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Pennines, I will have a look at the ones under Manchester now and I did already look at the mine disasters on that site! I thought I may as well try my chaps name on there, but I didnt find it.
Millson & Johnson - Bradfield, Berks.  Vine & Butcher - Norfolk. Haines & Collier - Oxfordshire/Berkshire. Duffin & Wynn - Tilehurst, Berkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
the extract below may also be of interest to you;

Industrialisation

a photograph of the Winding Gear at Snipe Colliery, AudenshawUntil the 19th century, Audenshaw was mainly a farming area supplemented by bleaching, hatting and coal mining which continued well into the 20th century. At Hooley Hill, farming gave way to calico printing works during the 19th century, and later a linen factory was established. There was some hatting in Hooley Hill. Butterworth, a local historian, mentions two working hatters in 1823, but during the 19th century the area became a slum and was to be demolished to be rebuilt later.

Coal mining started in the 18th century, working valuable seams near the surface, and, as these became waterlogged or exhausted, 19th century mining changed to deep seam mining. The Chamber Colliery Mining Company owned three pits; Oak Pit in Oldham, Wood Park Pit in Bardsley and the Ashton Moss Pit, Audenshaw, known as the Snipe Pit. All three worked the famous Roger Seam. The Ashton Moss Colliery opened on May 22, 1880 and tram lines were laid to take coal down to the canal locks. The Chamber Colliery Company had a large number of canal boats in the 1920s to take coal from the Snipe Pit to factories along the canal. The Snipe Pit was one of the deepest at the time. According to the Colliery Guardian in 1892, the shafts went down 952 yards and produced good quality coal. Saltpetre was adapted for gas, domestic use or steam power and coal from the Black Mine seam was well-known locally for producing good gas and domestic coal. The colliery closed in 1959.

Taken from http://www.tameside.gov.uk/audenshaw/history
Places of interest;

Offline MarksWife

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
wow, thanks, I have just followed the link to this page,  I had been searching for audenshaw coal mining but didnt find that page!

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 September 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
What was the name of the road he lived on in 1901?
As you have his 1911 details where was he then?

Offline MarksWife

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 September 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Heatherjulie

In 1901 he was living in Alsagers Bank and in 1911 in Dale Street, Audenshaw

Offline missmolly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 14 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Markswife

Try this as some of Denton mines wouldn't be far away

On left hand side click on minerals

http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/

Mo
Harrison,  Lancs