Author Topic: Grocery in Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno  (Read 1435 times)

Offline STSO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grocery in Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno
« on: Wednesday 11 June 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm really hoping someone might be able to help me!

I’m currently trying to help a friend track down a family she used to know from her childhood in Penrhyn Bay. She doesn’t remember many facts apart from the fact that they owned/used to run a grocery on what is now the main roundabout in Penrhyn Bay, (in the late 1950s/1960s and perhaps into the 1970s).

I was hoping that someone might be able to give me information about the family or the grocery. From chatting to people from the area I believe that the grocery may have been called ‘Little Orme Stores’ at one point.

Some of the names that have cropped up in relation to the grocery have been Dougie Thomas, Ben Hughes and Ralph Jones. Absolutely any more info about those people or other families who may have owned the grocery during that time would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Selina

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery in Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Selina,

I lived in Penrhyn Bay in the mid to late 1960s. The place we had was quite close to the shops which were at the bottom of Penrhyn Hill. I remember the name Little Orme Stores but cannot recall who was in there, or the family who ran it.

I think the commerical directories, or street directories, might yield this information. They keep them in the Conwy Archives, or in Llandudno library. I don't live near there now, so cannot look at these for you.

I would suggest a post on The Three Towns Forum http://threetownsforum.co.uk/

There are people on there who are local to the area and some who will do look ups for others in this type of case. You will probably find someone who recalls this shop and the people who ran it. It is even possible that you will get a photo of it.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 June 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
Found a photo on the Francis Frith site:

http://www.francisfrith.com/penrhyn-bay/photos/village-c1965_p321113/

The last time I was around there, this was a cafe.

Jo.

Offline STSO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 June 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thanks so much for your help and the photo post. It's great to get advice on different avenues to try in my search. I'm not based locally and so I haven't been able to take a look at the commercial directories myself but I think I be making a visit soon as I agree this would be very useful.

I have tried posting on the three towns forum and no luck so far but fingers crossed I may be able to find something out in the next few days or so. In the meantime if you have any other suggestions they're very much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Selina