Author Topic: ANCESTORS OF JAMES MACKAY BORN 23 DEC 1829 Rogart,Sutherland.  (Read 10008 times)

Offline Canadascott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANCESTORS OF JAMES MACKAY BORN 23 DEC 1829 Rogart,Sutherland.
« on: Tuesday 21 January 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James parents Alexr and Bessy, Bessie or Betty MACKAY married 6 Jan 1829.( Scotland OPR) They are my 4Th great grandparents. Here I am at a standstill, as there are several possible Bessies born 1803-1806 as per Scotlands people.I have undocumented evidence that Bessie's parents are Walter Mackay and Frances Murray . Alexr parents James MACKAY and Janet SUTHERLAND.I also have anecdotal evidence that Alexr and Bessie immigrated to Upper Canada about 1830. I have found evidence of James life and career in Canada.
 Does anyone know where I might go to confirm these assumptions  as I haven't been able to proceed without more known facts? Any information that you could give me or direct me to would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to know if there is other members of this family still in the area as well. Thank You.

Offline kitto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ANCESTORS OF JAMES MACKAY BORN 23 DEC 1829 Rogart,Sutherland.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I have had the same trouble with ancestors from Rogart. The Sutherlands, MacKays and Murrays all seem to marry each other and give their children the same first names. (It may just be my poor research skills, however!)

I can't help with your James MacKay, but I do have MacKays/Murrays and Sutherlands from 'Inchcape', Rogart in my tree... James MacKay (1799-1876) married to an Elizabeth Murray. They had a daughter Effy MacKay in 1829, who Married a Neil Sutherland in 1857.

I also have a Janet MacKay (b.1791) married to a James Sutherland (b.1781)
 ... Any connection to your tree??
Kitto, Skeats, Sellen, Sutherland, Anderton, Hooton/Hooten, McLure, Trevor, Hawkins, MacKay, Murray.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
You could try here:
http://www.countysutherland.co.uk/

Chris Stokes has a lot of information about the Mackays, the Murrays and the Sutherlands.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Canadascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 January 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I joined the mailing list of County Sutherland and there is lots of information on Mackays. I am happily searching and I will report how I do.  :)

Offline Canadascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I did find some information on the county Sutherland site that was helpful as well as posts by some of the members on the mailing list.
James McKay born 23 Dec. 1829 Rogart, Sutherland his parents were Alexander McKay and Bessie McKay( born 15 July 1805) were married 6 Jan 1829. Bessie's parents were Walter McKay and Fanny McKay. Walter was a miller at Cyderhall, Doronoch, Sutherland. Their other children were Christie born 1807,Donald  b 1813,and Hugh b 1811. There may have been more children but its all I found on IGI
Now I am searching for information on James McKays father Alexander Mckay as well as his wife
Bessies parents Walter and Fanny.
I am hoping someone will recognize some of these people from their own family tree and let me know.
Heres to more searching! :)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff!  Keep at it.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Joan skrzypczak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 03:06 BST (UK) »
Many macKay's emigrated to Upper Canada, Zorra Township. Many Sutherlands, kerrs, mcloeds came too, if you want some Canadian records, there is a great two volume book " historically bound Embro and West Zorra" history.

Offline macian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 December 22 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a James Mackay in my tree ,parents Alexander Mackay and Elizabeth Mackay (Bessy)
He was born 23 Dec 1829 Rossal Rogart. married Ellen Stothers,Wawanosh ,Huron, Ontario.Canada
Does this match Ian

James parents Alexr and Bessy, Bessie or Betty MACKAY married 6 Jan 1829.( Scotland OPR) They are my 4Th great grandparents. Here I am at a standstill, as there are several possible Bessies born 1803-1806 as per Scotlands people.I have undocumented evidence that Bessie's parents are Walter Mackay and Frances Murray . Alexr parents James MACKAY and Janet SUTHERLAND.I also have anecdotal evidence that Alexr and Bessie immigrated to Upper Canada about 1830. I have found evidence of James life and career in Canada.
 Does anyone know where I might go to confirm these assumptions  as I haven't been able to proceed without more known facts? Any information that you could give me or direct me to would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to know if there is other members of this family still in the area as well. Thank You.

Offline macian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 December 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I think Walters wife could be Fanny Mckay from paper work I have