Author Topic: Searching for Richard Rowlands born Cardiganshire  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Esme2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Richard Rowlands born Cardiganshire
« on: Saturday 28 September 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
My 2nd great grandfather Richard Rowlands was born somewhere in Cardiganshire between 1785-1801 and was a blacksmith by trade.  This is information I have found on the 1851 census when he was living in Birmingham, it seems he had died before the 1861 census.  I have found a possible marriage on the IGI to Elizabeth Williams.  Their children were all born in Birmingham and I have traced all of these but, it is the earlier information I would like to find about Richard Rowlands.  I have nothing further to go on, not knowing specifically where in Cardiganshire he was born or the names of his parents or if he had siblings.

Thank you from a very new member.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Richard Rowlands born Cardiganshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 September 13 23:17 BST (UK) »
If I am looking at the correct census - Richard Rowland (no "s") is age 50 on 1841 census ( age rounded down to nearest 5 years

1861 he is "Robert" Rowland age 50

??????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Esme2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Richard Rowlands born Cardiganshire
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 September 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Good morning Suz,

Thank you for your reply.  I think you are probably looking at the right entry for 1841 Rowland without the 's'.  The family are living in Birmingham, Richard aged 50 1791 a smith born 'not of this county' the same goes for his wife Elizabeth aged 45 'not of this county' and their children.  There was also a son named Richard Rowlands born abt 1826, I think in Shrewsbury, his wife was also named Elizabeth. 

In 1851 Richard Rowlands listed as Robert is living with his daughter Mary Ann Pardoe and her husband Samuel Pardoe.  They are  living at 32 Meriden St. Birmingham.  Their name was Parslow and not Pardoe.  There is no sign of Elizabeth wife of Richard and I take it she had died, some of his children are also living at the same address.  The couple also had a son named Robert born in 1833 Birmingham as well as their son Richard 1826 they were also blacksmiths.

It was from the 1851 census that I discovered Richard was born in Cardiganshire.  His name was also stated as Richard Rowlands, Blacksmith on his daughter's marriage certificate.

I have no other way of tracing where in Cardiganshire he was born that is why I've hit a brick wall.

Does this help further?  I know that these many Richard's and Robert's sounds confusing.

Thank you,
Esme