Author Topic: Ballinakill - Delaney Ancestors  (Read 8074 times)

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinakill - Delaney Ancestors
« on: Thursday 19 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was Jeremiah Delaney b. abt. 1840 Ballinakill, Laois who came over to Liverpool
where he married in 1870.  They had 5 children, 3 of whom lived, these being Jeremiah b. 1872, Christina b. 1872 and Mary b. 1880 - all in Liverpool.

Christina b. 1872 was my grandmother.  She married Christopher Reid b. 1872 Liverpool and so the Reid dynasty began.

During a visit to Ballinakill, back in 2003, and after speaking with Father Sean Conlon in Ballinakill, we discovered that our line of descent was as follows:-

James Delaney and Mary Brennan - children = Jeremiah and William

Jeremiah Delaney b. Jun 1822 and Margaret Cuddy b. 18??  who married in Jun 1822 Ballinakill

We also visited Denis Delaney and his wife Sadie in Camras, a lovely couple, and swapped information with Sadie about the family history.  On meeting Denis, who was ill at the time, my sister and I were astonished at the striking likeness Denis had to our own dear Dad.  In fact, it could have been out Dad sitting in that chair.

We also met the Delaney brothers from Delaney's pub in Bride Street, Ballinakill and found everybody to be very helpful and welcoming.

I would like to have contact, if possible, with my Delaney cousins still in Ballinakill in order to swap information about the family history which I've been working on for many years now if any are on this forum.

After my parents died we found a battered old photograph in the loft and I think if could be of our great grandfather, Jeremiah Delaney b. 1840 but am not sure.
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline sweden

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinakill - Delaney Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, my ggrandmother was Anna Delaney from Laois, she married Finton Sinnott abt. 1865. I hope we can help each other with family history. mt email is (*) Thank you Pat

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bleary2eyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 09 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat, I've only managed to get back as far as 1800 with my Delaney side and there is definitely nobody named Finton Sinnott anywhere.  Also, there are no Anna's either.  With Delaney being a common surname it's been hard to follow and stay on track. 
REID, BRAWN, DELANEY, ROBERTS, STAINES, TURNER, HARDY, WILLIAMS, GRIFFITHS, JONES, SMITH, LUCAS, McCAUGHAN, NOLAN, BRENNAN

Offline worthyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 13 03:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the late arrival.

I have an ancestor, John Worthington whom my family records show married a Mary Delaney before 1790.  I believe she was a Roman Catholic while he was Church of Ireland.  They lived in co. Carlow — Ballinakill / Moneybegs / Dunleckney.  I've found baptismal records for at least 2 children -- Catherine and John -- in St. Mary's Church (CoI).

Might anyone know of this family?

Regards,
Bill