Author Topic: Abbeyleix Hospital records  (Read 5707 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbeyleix Hospital records
« on: Saturday 19 April 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
I have a letter written to my GGGgrandmother, Mary (Cole) Oldham, from her brother Harry (Henry) a surgeon, in 1851 from Abbeyliex. Harry (Henry) was assigned there after medical school and it sounds like it was by "the Governor" (a direct quote from the letter). He wanted to stay on for 4 more months and the Governor did not want this to happen. In the letter he also mentions Dr. Sheppard who I have since found is the Apothecary of the Abbeyliex Workhouse. The mystery that I am trying to solve is what was Harry's last name. Mary Cole was presumably adopted by her great aunt Mary (Bowler) Massey Rice. Mary Bowler was married twice, first to Henry Massey of Cork in 1800 (no evidence of children) and then to John Rice of Cork in 1834. I am assuming that Harry's (Henry's) last name is either Cole (although the family says Mary was an only child), Massey (most likely) or Rice. I have found no evidence of any of these names in various sites that I have tried. I am wondering if there are records from the Abbeliex Hospital that are searchable. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks very much.
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Abbeyleix Hospital records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 April 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Abbeyleix Hospital records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annclare. I will give them a try.
Alison
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton