Author Topic: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents  (Read 31855 times)

Offline sharon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John wells or walls 1876 looking for parents
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 January 12 21:46 GMT (UK) »
It would be great if you could send the copy of death certificates or the info that is on them.  Would greatly appreciate it. 
Thank you
sharon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Brown - Portpatrick, Irvine, Ayre, Blantyre areas
Walls- Dumfries areas
Young- Dumfries areas
Sanders/Saunders - Dumfries, lothian, areas
Billyard/Billiald - East Markham areas
Stacey - East Retford, Markham Moor, East Markham, Nottinghamshire
Taylor - East Markham area
Walters - East Markham area
Thompson - East Markham area
Taylor - New Boilingbroke
Whitworth - Elston, Notinhamshire
Kemp - Harby, Nottinghamshire
Lawrence - Sheffield area

Offline sharon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
It would be great if you could send the copy of death certificates or the info that is on them.  Would greatly appreciate it. 
Thank you
sharon
Brown - Portpatrick, Irvine, Ayre, Blantyre areas
Walls- Dumfries areas
Young- Dumfries areas
Sanders/Saunders - Dumfries, lothian, areas
Billyard/Billiald - East Markham areas
Stacey - East Retford, Markham Moor, East Markham, Nottinghamshire
Taylor - East Markham area
Walters - East Markham area
Thompson - East Markham area
Taylor - New Boilingbroke
Whitworth - Elston, Notinhamshire
Kemp - Harby, Nottinghamshire
Lawrence - Sheffield area

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »
hi,

this is my first day on this site, but I have been on Scotland's people for a couple of months

I have a John Wells born approx 1821 ( 50 in 1871 census) that I believe died in 1876. He was married to Elizabeth Wells age 43 so born approx 1826. They have a son Thomas aged 18 so born approx 1853. Living at  10 Queensbury Street Dumfries.

Look on the forward one page of this census and in the same house you will see James Wells age 30 his wife Margaret Wells, daughter Rachel McMurdo Wells age 12., a Sarah Burgess age 12 , George Wells age 5 and Walter McMurdo Wells age 3.

James Wells married Margaret McMurdo in 1865. 

Rachel McMurdo was illegitimately born to Margaret  in 1857.  If you find this birth record ( Duncow Dumfries) you will see that the entry immediately below is that for Sarah McMurdo, born to Elizabeth (or Eliza) McMurdo a few days after Rachel.

In the 1861 census you will find Margaret, Rachel and Sarah living  in Kirkmahoe with Margaret's parents Walter and Rachel McMurdo. Elizabeth is missing, and Sarah has a new surname Burgess.

So I think that the entry for Rachel McMurdo Wells in the 1871 census is incorrect. Her real name is probably still Rachel McMurdo, and I doubt that James Wells is her father.  This means that George  Wells and Walter McMurdo Wells are probably her half brothers.

So Thomas Wells and Rachel McMurdo lived in the same house in 1871, probably in different rooms. .That will be how they they met and ended up getting married  six years later (2nd November 1877).

Now back to your initial question, I think that the parents of John Wells married to Elizabeth Kirkpatrick, are Thomas Wells and Janet Brown. This is from ands Old parish register of John Wells baptism 30th August 1822 birth 22 August 1822. I have not made any link to a Lawrence Wells at all!   

Now I don't yet know how James Wells who married Margaret McMurdo is related to the Wells family living in the same house in 1871, but they surely must be. 10 Queensbury Street  seems to be central to a long line of my ancestors.  This is perhaps where the Lawrence Wells and Michael Wells links are.  Certainly my Grandfather ( Thomas and Rachel Wells Grandson) used to talk about the family name being changed fro Walls to Wells. as per Michael Walls/Wells from Ireland? Time Will tell.

My father tels me that one day a man from Dumfries, a tramp, happened to chap on the door at their house ( then in Bonnybridge) asking to be fed. The conversation led to a story of how Walls became Wells. Apparently a Frank Walls went to the funeral of my Granmother (Jane Cunningham Wells nee Laurie). I think Frank Walls owned a transport cafe near Lockerbie)

Reading about Annie Wells/Walls and Michael Wells.Walls in this post inspired me. I have not been able to find Rachel Wells ( nee McMurdo) death certificate, so I tried Rachel Walls and there it is, Rachel Walls 1883 Dumfries.

I have Thomas Wells and Rachel living at 10 Queensbury Street in 1881 living with two sons John and Thomas, a third son William came slightly later. Also at the house is Thomas Mother Elizabeth  and a brother George. George is probably Rachel's half brother, no relation to Thomas.    So I wonder where James Wells,  Margaret Wells (nee McMurdo), Walter McMurdo Wells and Sarah Burgess are? Any idea?

Are you a descendant of one of Thomas and Rachel's three sons John, Thomas or William? William is my Great Grandfather.

bluebike1 

Wells (Walls), Kerr, McMurdo - Dumfries
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 January 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
happy girl,

now have more info Rachel Wells ( nee McMurdo)  who married Thomas Wells died in 1883 (at Dumfries infirmary  due Typhoid. The death certificate says that her mother Margaret McMurdo was already deceased.  :( (Search  Rachel Walls not Wells). 

In 1881 George Wells son of James Wells and Margaret Wells ( nee McMurdo) has moved in with Thomas Wells and his half sister Rachel.  I cannot find James Wells,  Margaret Wells, Sarah Burgess and Walter McMurdo Wells.  Any idea what happened to them?  I wonder if they too had died of typhoid, for I note that  Thomas  Wells had moved with his mother Elizabeth and his three sons out of no 10 and into no 6 Queensbury Street after Rachel died  ( see  the 1891 census). Perhaps that was to get away from they Typhoid bug.

Previous searches for Rachel Wells death, produced a Rachel McMurdo Wells who died at age 5 months in 1897  :( . Her mother was Margaret McMurdo Wells. This has confused me, but thinking about it, Margaret could well be the a daughter of James and Margaret Wells ( nee McMurdo) and born after the 1871 census.  Do you have any knowledge of them?

bluebike1
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline Bluebike1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I accidentally deleted your PM, can you resend?
Laurie - Falkirk
Cunningham
Godfrey, Mathews - Devon

Offline jeanc19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 April 13 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurence Walls/Wells is my great great grandfather, born c1810 Dumfries?, married Martha Kirkpatrick 2nd May 1841 and died 24th January 1867 at Gateside of Trench, Dumfries. If this is the person you are looking for please get in touch and I will see if ~I can help. They did have a son John born in 1846 but I do not have a lot of info on John, but I have more on the rest of the family.
Little Prince

Hi, I saw your post on this thread while I was looking for my gg grandfather William wells. I found him on the 1851 census living with mother Martha in gateside of trench, and in the 1841 census living with mother Martha and father Laurence. So I think that your Laurence is my ggg grandfather. at the moment I'm unable to find birth record for William in about 1841-44, and wondered if you had anything. Thanks, Jean

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 April 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluebike 1,

I have John Wells (married to Elizabeth Kirkpatrick) death certificate which shows his father as Laurence Wells Pig Dealer. Laurence was married to Martha Kirkpatrick.
Laurence´s father (according to his death cert) was Michael Wells (Walls)
Best wishes
Norma
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline wattnb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 April 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanc19,

You asked about William Wells. You can find his birth record on Scotlandspeople. There is a Catholic Parish Record for him being born on 29 April 1842 to Laurence and Martha.
Best wishes
Norma
Wells or Walls, Lundy or Lundie, Greer or Grier

Offline happygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluebike 1,

I have John Wells (married to Elizabeth Kirkpatrick) death certificate which shows his father as Laurence Wells Pig Dealer. Laurence was married to Martha Kirkpatrick.
Laurence´s father (according to his death cert) was Michael Wells (Walls)
Best wishes
Norma
Hi Norma I'm sure John Wells m. Elizabeth Kirkpatrick and Laurence m. to martha. are related either brothers or cousins but just can't make the connection.And Johns father Laurance and Michael could be brothers just need to find the connection