Author Topic: Lacemakers of Nottingham  (Read 7837 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lacemakers of Nottingham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 February 14 07:12 GMT (UK) »
There's a history of Nottingham lace-making here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/england/nottingham/article_1.shtml
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 February 14 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, will look into them.....Lesley :D

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 April 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well, how's this for coincidence - I am another direct descendant of Stringer Simmons, in exactly the same line as you as far as Charles - and I'm a Lesley too.  Charles Simmons daughter Charlotte was my great grandmother.  What sort of cousin does that make us?

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 April 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
The record of the NABOB  shows Charles came with his wife and her sister, Ann, not his mother, and his brother Samuel.  The record for Charles says both his parents were still alive - his father died in 1852, his mother in 1863.   Mary's parents were both dead.  Mary gave birth on board on January 18, the baby died 7 days later, and when they arrived in Sydney on February 21  the record shows that Mary was "confined in a dangerous state".  They had a daughter, Sarah Ann, born in England in 1837, she was alive when they arrived in Sydney but there is nothing I can find about her after that.

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 April 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
hi Lesley, what a coincidence we are named the same.  :)  Are you based in Australia too?  Yes I have the Nabob papers as well.  Charlotte, his mother came out later (after the death of her husband Charles Victor Simmons Jnr) with her son George and they both died here.  Can give you dates if you do not have them.  George married out here and had two children.  Thanks for answering. Lesley

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 April 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip re Charlotte and George.  I have found them, but not their ship.  Do you know what that was?  I would love confirmation of the death dates.  Charlotte 1862 in Camperdown? George in 1930 in Canterbury?

I'm in Perth.  My grandmother was Ida May Theresa,  the daughter of Charlotte Simmons (daughter of Charles and Mary) and George Dray.  She and her sister Clara came to Western Australia in 1896 when Ida was 15.  She married George Mitchell in Cue in 1905.

I gather you are in Australia too.... East or west?
L.

Offline lesleyandrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 April 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi L.,I am in Port Macquarie NSW. The ship that Charlotte and George came out on was the "Araminta" arriving 29.7.1854.  Charlotte died 18.1.1862 13 Brisbane St. Sydney and buried 21.1.1862 Baptist Cemetery Sydney.  George married Helen Finlayson 1857 Victoria had a son and daughter (shows on his death certificate). Died 12.3.1930 19 Kennedy Ave Belmore Sydney and buried 14.3.1930 C of E Cemetery Rookwood.  Hope this is of help to you.  All the best, Lesley

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 April 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
Port Macquarie... I know it quite well.  My sister lives at Scott's Head and my parents lived at Clybucca for a few years before my mother died.  Small world.
Lesley2

Offline 1560rick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 June 20 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

My ancestors are the Nottingham Simmons family. My Great great grandfather was Henry Simmons. He is the Mormon convert mentioned in your post. Along with his wife Catherine, and I think 3? daughters they moved to Utah on one of the Mormon treks. More children in Utah, one of which was my great grandfather Joseph Simmons, who had children born in Canada, which is where I am located. They worked as tanners in London and also in Utah.

Anyway I noticed this fellow has traced back maybe one or two generations further if you are still looking.

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-218444311/brigman

Rick Simmons