Author Topic: Where did Charles JOLLY die?  (Read 7607 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Where did Charles JOLLY die?
« on: Wednesday 26 March 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Brother to my great grandfather Charles Jolly was born 15th August 1888 in Montrose. His parents were Davidina Thom and William Jolly. Charles can be found on the 1901 census with his parents age 12 but is not showing with his parents on the 1911 census. I have found his discharge papers from the merchant navy stamped 22 Dec 1930 - Glasgow. I've never been able to find a marriage or death certificate on SP.
Thanks
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Charles JOLLY die?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I found these three on SP.

1 1964   JOLLY   CHARLES   Not Permissible      M   75  ABERDEEN
2 1965   JOLLY   CHARLES HALL Not Permissible   M78     DUNDEE WEST
3 1938   JOLLY   CHARLES HERBERT    CLOUSTON   M   52 GLENMUICK, TULLICH AND GLENGAIRN/ABERDEEN
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is no use of middle names on any of the birth certificates for any of the family.  The 1964 one looks promising although I've looked at the marriage certificates of every Charles Jolly who got married in Aberdeen but none are him.  He could of course stayed single and moved to Aberdeen. Think I'll wait for the cert coming on line next year. In the mean time I'll continue the hunt for his brother Aurthur's demise in Canada. :)
Thanks
Jen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
He could of course stayed single and moved to Aberdeen.

He might also have lived in the Montrose/St Cyrus/Benholm area, and died in hospital in Aberdeen. Deaths had to be registered in the district where the death occurred, not where the deceased lived.

Also, don't discount candidates with middle names. It is not unheard of for people to acquire in later life a middle name that isn't on their birth certificate or baptism record, or to mislay a middle name that is on the birth or baptism record.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I'll certainly have a look at that certificate when it becomes available on-line.  There are ten children in this family. Yesterday I discovered Robert died out in Canada so that means for seven of them I  now have their birth/marriage/death details. Arthur the youngest I lose track of after his appearance in the Canadian census in 1921 along with his wife and young son Robert age 2. Charles as above and Annie Jolly - who I have marrying in 1906 a Walter Henry Campbell Burgess then nothing. Beginning to wonder if Annie and Henry went out to Canada along with David (he returned to Scotland), Arthur (stayed in Canada till 1921 at least) and Robert (died Toronto 1918).

Hmm middle names - funny my brother has added one in later life - perhaps he thinks it gives him a certain amount of gravitas  ;)
Jen

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
     David Jolly returned to Scotland on the "Doric", arriving Glasgow from Montreal on 17 Aug 1929.      He was going to: 1 Fore Street, Johnshaven, Montrose.       He was 37, a welder who had been resident in USA.       

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 March 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
     Davidina Thom Jolly died 1940 at Montrose, aged 90.     GRO 312/00 0085       This can be viewed for 5 credits on Scotlands People.        ....If the family home was still there as late as 1940,
(and it seems from this that it probably was), then it might be possible that anyone returning from abroad might have gone there to live.      Just speculation though.       I wonder which relative registered her death.....?     

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 March 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Annie's husband, Walter Burgess, enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yoe/

Link is to first page of his record, you can then use 'next' button for subsequent pages.

He then seems to be on Australian Electoral Rolls after his service ends.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 March 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
     David Jolly returned to Scotland on the "Doric", arriving Glasgow from Montreal on 17 Aug 1929.      He was going to: 1 Fore Street, Johnshaven, Montrose.       He was 37, a welder who had been resident in USA.       
Thanks but unfortuately, this is not my David he went out with Arthur in May 1913 but returned to Scotland not long after.  He signed his wife's death certificate in Montrose in 1925. David Jolly was a mason as was Robert. David dies the same year as Davidina.

Davidina - I love that name and hope I've inherited some of her longevity genes.  Died in 1940 still living at 35 Ferry Steet Montrose - a pokey wee hole of a place.  Mabel (3rd youngest) signed the certificate. By 1943 five of her sons will be dead leaving only Arthur and Charles unaccounted for. Agnes the oldest daughter dies in 1949 age 78 and Mabel in 1980 age 93...perhaps soon I'll find out where and when their sister Anne died.

So, Walter and Anne(?) in Australia.  Never had to go there before....Arthur in Canada with wife Elizabeth Dakers and son Robert, Anne (or at least Walter for the moment) in Australia and Charles still missing. I think from Scotmum's link there can be no doubt it's the correct Walter (thank you middle name fairy and Scotmum!)...

Can't believe in a couple of days I found Robert's death by a fluke on LDS and now have a lead on Anne.
Thanks
Jen