Author Topic: William Wallace of Brechin Drowned 1890  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wallace of Brechin Drowned 1890
« on: Friday 27 June 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
I hope somebody claims this teenager, who I found whilst researching my Wallace family. His name is mentioned in an old newspaper and the article can be found on the GenesReunited website.

Shields Daily Gazette newspaper of Tyne and Wear, England

14 Jan 1890:   SUPPOSED DROWNING OF A SHIP'S STEWARD

<<.... reports that during the voyage assistant steward, William Wallace, was missed. No trace him could be found, and it is supposed he had been washed overboard, as heavy sea was prevailing at the time. Wallace was 17 years of age, and belonged Brechin, in Scotland>>
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Wallace of Brechin Drowned 1890
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Rena, I can only see one Brechin born William Wallace with a birth year matching which is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTG-F9D  I wonder if this was him  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
It seems highly likely doesn't it. 

I'm following a Wm Wallace/Wallis born in Yorkshire so the boy won't be part of my family's tree.

With the inclusion of a surname as a middle name (Wm Duff Wallace), I wonder if he was named in favour of the reverend William Duff (1732-1815) who wrote a theory of genius. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Just for the record.
After searching Newspapers and Maritime deaths.  I concluded that William Wallace was drowned whilst on board the vessel WATERLOO official number 80466. Voyage New Orleans for UK.
His death was reported to the authorities in Funchal on 21/10/1889 and to South Shields 20/1/1890.
Apart from the fact that he was owed 14s and 8 pence in wages, no other details were given.
Limited personal details of William Wallace should be contained within the relevent Crew Agreement available from here.
http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=80466
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 03:07 BST (UK) »
That's really wonderful information for a family historian to have handed on a plate Seaweed, especially as William Wallace is such a common combination of names.

I'm actually seeking a report of a court record of a smuggler who I know was on board a vessel  named "John Coggin" with his wife on the 1881 census and from newspapers Shipping news I know he sailed to many countries. 

The vessel had another master later that year.  Having seen this report in the newspaper I wondered why he still sailed in her:-

<<Shields Daily Gazette Tyne and Wear, England
27 May 1879
Shipping
Sand, Lowestoft, at seven o'clock on Sunday morning floated about nine without assistance, Imd proceeded. The brig John Coggin, Wallace, from Shields for Rouen, was towed into Lowestoft yesterday, by tug, leaky, and placed on mud, having sprunk leak>>

I don't know when "my" Wm Wallace, who coincidentally lived in Sunderland altho' born in Yorkshire, was summoned to court but the family story says he had to forfeit property. 

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
As you will see in the attached pages William Wallace master of the Snow JOHN COGGIN official number 23973 was born in Filey. He was master at least between July/10/1881 and Jan/8/1882. I don't know if it is your man but there may be some useful information in the link to confirm or otherwise.
JOHN COGGIN wasbuilt in Whitby in 1849 and registered in that town. Owned in 1880 by Mrs Fanny Coggin, of Robin Hoods Bay Whitby, previously by Thomas Coggin of the same address. Looks like TC died and left the vessel to his widow
If indeed this is your man, post a reply and I will try and direct you to further information.
http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/viewcrew1881.php?Record_ID=38224&%20CrewListPage=1&page=1
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
Wow Seaweed!!!!

Thank you so much - That information is priceless!!!

The family property which had to be forfeited that I mentioned was supposed to have been in Robin Hood Bay! but I couldn't find a Wallis/Wallace link to the place and his step father was an ordinary fisherman in Bridlington.  I think I should investigate his mother's family to see if a female relative married a Coggin 

William Wallace is supposed to have married three times (I've only found 2 wives), had several occupations (I've only found 2) and lived to be 103 years old before dying in Whitby, Yorkshire.

Now that I've got my initial excitement out of my system I'll investigate your link  :o

Once again thank you - I'm most appreciative.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
P.S. Seaweed

My search criteria for the newspaper reporting for a court case of a smuggler named Wm Wallace was only from 1878 to 1890 using search terms "John Coggin Wallace".  As already mentioned  newspaper shipping reports showed that the John Coggin had another master part way through 1881.

As mentioned the last report was the 1881 sailing and here's the first two in 1878.  Maybe I should return to the website to see when he commenced captaining the vessel.

<<Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette Tyne and Wear, England
14 Feb 1878   LATEST SHIPPING NEWS
GRAVESEND. Yesterday.— John Coggin, Wallace;>>

<<Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette Tyne and Wear, England
15 Jul 1878  FOREIGN ARRIVALS AND SAILINGS.
Rotterdam. Jnly 11.—Cleared—John Coggin, Wallace, for Middlesbrough>>

<<Shields Daily Gazette Tyne and Wear, England, 7 Aug 1878
Shipping
Copenhagen. COLLIERS ARRIVED AT GRAVESEND. August 3 -John Coggin, Wallace >>

I found this on an anc--y hosted website, which could explain why the vessel was named "John Coggin" and it could be that Wm Wallace took command of the vessel when its previous master was drowned in 1877:-

**LOST WITH ALL HANDS IN THE BRIG "FANNY" NEAR SINOPE, BLACK SEA, DECEMBER 1861   John Coggin, Master Mariner, age 31

**George Pinkney, master mariner, age 56, drowned at Yarmouth from his brig John Coggin 29 November 1877

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stormrhb/lost.htm
STORM AND COMPANY OF Robin Hood's Bay.
SOME OF THE MISSING SEAMEN OF 'BAY'
derived from a Register of Missing Seamen 1783-1912 by Jacob Storm and William Conyers

The deep each generation calls
With dulcet tempting voice,
No elemental wave appals
The sea remains their choice.
-From a poem by Jacob Storm