Author Topic: Trying to find a soldiers regiment (And more)  (Read 733 times)

Offline zace66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find a soldiers regiment (And more)
« on: Friday 06 June 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there, hoping you can help.
Harold Edward Challoner was my wife's grandfather.  Born on the 7th July 1914 in Yorkshire.   He served in WW2. I was very proud to have met him, although he did claim he was owed the Iron Cross due to the number of soldiers he made ill with his cooking, joking of course.  He passed away in 2008.
The family knows he served in all theatres of war, but as the heroes always did, he kept most stories to himself.  I do know he ended the war in France.
I was wondering if anyone can help me track down his regiment as I would dearly love to find his war history to pass on to the family.
Many thanks,
   Chris

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find a soldiers regiment (And more)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 June 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

All post 1920 service personnel files are still with the mod.

This link to some excellent info by Millymcb should help you: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)