Author Topic: Royal Army Service Corps mentioned in Despatch  (Read 969 times)

Offline Lesmw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Army Service Corps mentioned in Despatch
« on: Monday 30 June 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
I have army records for my father and although they show he was Mentioned in Despatches  in 1942, I have the certificate. I haven't been able to find out what he received it for.  I think I remember my mother telling me it was something about a truck being on fire when he was in the desert. His records show that he was in Middle East in 1940 - May 1942 and then in South Africa until March 1945. He never spoke about what he did and died in 1967.

Offline althos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Army Service Corps mentioned in Despatch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 July 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
MiD are gazetted in the London Gazette which can be searched on line.

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
The LG will have a dated entry but very unlikely you will find the actual citation in there. Do you know what RASC units he served with?

Offline Lesmw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 August 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, he's in London Gazette dated 15 December 1942 but no details. His records of service are a bit difficult for me to decipher in places - under unit it mostly says 'x.list'.  From what I can read he was base depot R & T  corp?. Egypt dec 1940 to Feb 1941.  Not sure if I'm reading everything correctly but he was '3 BD'. Again ??   He was in South Africa from what I can make out from1942 to 1944.
When mentioned in Despatches he was acting corporal and at the end of service he was sergeant.  Variously 'driver' and 'clerk'.