Author Topic: Hugh Watson of Keillor and Angus cattle fame  (Read 12240 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Watson of Keillor and Angus cattle fame
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 June 14 00:38 BST (UK) »
In terms of who were the financiers of the syndicate of "Watson & Hunter", there is this:

From "Colonial Doctor and his Town" The story began in Scotland In 1838 a
large Pastoral Company trading under the name of two partners, Alex Hunter
and james Watson, was formed to acquire pastoral, agricultural and city
properties in Australia. It was generally financed by a syndicate headed by
the Marquiss of Ailsa, Chief of the Kennedy Clan, his son the Hon.Gilbert
Kennedy, Lady Flora and Lady Adelaide Hastings, Captain Arabin, housekeeper
to the house of Buccleuch, George Watson, son of Watson of Keilor, a cattle
breeder of Forfarshire
, Alex Hunter a partner in the legan firm of Hunter
Blair and Cowan, Major McDouall, Sir C.Doyle and some others. Alex Hunter
did not come to Australia, but his five sons Alexander, James, John, Frank
and William all came. The Hunter brothers won fame for their superb riding,
their vigoroud, unconventional lives and their courage."
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/2001-04/0986424218

The Hunter in the name of the business looks to be for the father of the young crew in Australia, Alexander Hunter, Writer to the Signet (W.S). Watson...I still struggle except we now see a George Watson coming in, maybe a brother of Hugh's :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 June 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I had seen a mention of a 'George Watson' being involved with Hunter & Watson - he is mentioned in the 1893 obit of Alexander McLean Hunter, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/77071275 that piece states that he became the starter of the VRC ... although this is the obit for the George Watson of VRC fame which states he was from Carlow and only arrived in Melbourne in 1851, thus ruling him out as being involved with Hunter & Watson? http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9666526

Clear as mud!

'Watson of Keillor' would seem to refer to Hugh Watson as his father didn't live at Keillor, he lived at  Bannatyne House ... but that's just an impression as he seems to have owned the land there so could be his father William.  Need to read that will of his to find out about any other sons.  Will see if Celtic1 returns to the thread. 

Hugh Watson's eldest son William was born in 1827, reference to his death in the US, in Illinois in 1898 aged 71 https://archive.org/stream/banffshireyearbo1898banf/banffshireyearbo1898banf_djvu.txt
Then there is another son, Hugh, birth not mentioned in OPR, but living with the family on 1841 census, but not on 1851
Then Adam born 1840, ?birth not on OPR, marries a Jennie Osborne in California, this piece says death in Sydney, but couldn't see it on NSW archive
http://www.mocavo.co.uk/Edinburgh-Academy-Register-a-Record-of-All-Those-Who-Have-Entered-the-School-Since-Its-Foundation-in-1824/219208/263
And Patrick, born 1845, again ?birth not on OPR, we know about him from the other thread, lived and died in far north Queensland

You found that piece which mentioned that James Watson Sr and Alexander Hunter W.S. (father of Alexander Hunter McLean) were from Ayrshire.  I found John Hunter, father of Alexander Hunter W.S. buying Doonholm Estate in Ayrshire in 1796.   
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-1001-doonholm-estate-doonholm-including-wall-an

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 June 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
You have worked hard on these lines, Gali  :) I know I am just retracing your steps  ::)  ;D but it is an interesting piece of history, and always the puzzle!

Monica

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 July 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, just returning with fresh eyes to confirm that your 'genealogical sixth sense' was correct that James Rose 'of Flemington' did indeed marry twice.

Here is some info on him and the court case related to his right of succession to the estate/title:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=heedrapper&id=I1612

His father was Capt Hugh Rose MD of Brea and Broadley, his mother Margaret Russell.

His first wife was Margaret/Peggy Duncan, daughter of James Duncan of Morriston.  They married in 1802, she bore him three daughters, one of whom was Margaret Rose, wife of Hugh Watson of Keillor.  Who were the other two daughters?  Was Elizabeth Rose, wife of James Watson of Flemington in VIC, one of them?  Celtic1 - in what year was Elizabeth born?

In 1811 he married Elizabeth, fourth daughter of David Hunter of Blackness (her Will on SP mentioned previously on this thread).  She bore him two daughters, MIs for them in Barry churchyard: http://www.waughfamily.ca/Aimer/MIBarryChurchyard.pdf
Can't see clear reference to any other children from this marriage at this stage. 

Here is the detail from 'History of Nairnshire':
http://www.mocavo.com/History-of-Nairnshire-4/880203/480#480

So, another small piece of the puzzle there, but I think we need information from the marriage/death certificates of James Watson and Elizabeth Rose Watson to get any further ... over to you Celtic1! 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
I have to shoot out for a couple of hours  :'( and I just want to sit here quietly and catch up with all this new info  ;D

Gali, don't laugh, but I sent heedrapper a PM yesterday as I saw here on RC that he has an interest in the Rose family of Kilravock www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=568721.0

Will catch up when I get back....

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 July 14 18:09 BST (UK) »

His first wife was Margaret/Peggy Duncan, daughter of James Duncan of Morriston.  They married in 1802, she bore him three daughters, one of whom was Margaret Rose, wife of Hugh Watson of Keillor.  Who were the other two daughters?  Was Elizabeth Rose, wife of James Watson of Flemington in VIC, one of them?  Celtic1 - in what year was Elizabeth born?

With a marriage in 1802, for James Rose to Margaret Duncan, we had Margaret born in 1805 (precise date you found Gali - 7 March 1805 - censuses show Aberdeen).

Elizabeth wife of James Watson. A newspaper report (?) gives her death age as 41 in 1847. May be hers, would need to see dates etc as Celtic1 showed death in May 1847...so born c. 1806? Elizabeth Watson died 1847 Female aged 41 at Melbourne www.reocities.com/vic1847/w/w06.html  Also from reocities site, James Watson wed Elizabeth Rose in 1840 at Presbyterian Melbourne & Geelong. From TROVE, details on Elizabeth's will - link shortened - www.rootschat.com/links/017fq/

One daughter outstanding there it seems from the union of James Rose to Margaret Duncan.

For his marriage to Elizabeth Carmichael Hunter (maybe in 1811 from the entry from FS we had), Gali your Barry MI details confirms what we had previously here re Elizabeth and daughter Jane Ramsay Rose. Jane Ramsay Rose, as showing above, was given as youngest daughter of James Rose at the time of her death.

Monica

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 July 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
?Possible death for 'this' James Rose, December 1829 (but am not confident - so many James Roses) ... 'At St Servan, France, James Rose Esq, late of Geddes'
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sxsyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA682&dq=%22james+rose%22+%22st+servan%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=34y1U-eJPIe5O6GTgbgJ&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22james%20rose%22%20%22st%20servan%22&f=false

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 July 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
That is a really good find, Gali. I know there are lots of James Roses wandering around, but the Geddes and Esq for this James would alert that it may be the one. Would also fit with the circa death date found for James Rose, but unsourced anywhere from what I could see.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 July 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
I am relooking that site www.reocities.com/vic1847/w/w06.html

Apart from Elizabeth's death and marriage to James Watson, there are potentially other mentions for James at that time (insolvency etc). I wonder if any of the other Watson's mentioned connected directly with him?

Monica