Author Topic: Clonany? Queens County, Ireland  (Read 6725 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Clonany? Queens County, Ireland
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 04:05 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was such a town/parish as Clonany in Queens County? In a 1839 baptism record I found the address is given as "Clonany." Although the birth happened in Kilkenny, the family is supposed to have been from Queens County. Maybe there was a name change for the town? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any info!  :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Clonany? Queens County, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 12 05:54 BST (UK) »
clonenagh ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was such a town/parish as Clonany in Queens County? In a 1839 baptism record I found the address is given as "Clonany."

what denomination and parish was the baptism ?

edit : Does this relate to this query on the Kilkenny board ?

Inistiogue Parish Baptism Record Help

You can view the names and and a map of RC parishes in Co Laois at : RC Parishes, Laois

There's a town in Co. Laois named Clonaslee, and a townland named Clonanny, which is in Lea Civil parish. It's not all that close to the border with Co. Kilkenny...

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
just noticed that Inistioge covers three separate civil parishes in Co. Kilkenny including one named Clonamery. This contains a townland with the same name. Could the Clonany reference be a misreading of this ?

This would make more sense as a current residence if the baptism took place in Inistioge RC parish in south Co. Kilkenny.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I posted it in Kilkenny first. I was not sure which way to turn when I found that Roman Catholic record as the family was supposed to be from Queens County. The census records show everyone else born in Queens County except this one daughter who was listed in the census as being born in Kilkenny. I found this Roman Catholic birth that I'm quite certain is her but Clonany threw me. I'm inclined to pursue the Clonanny path as its in Queens County but our suggestion about it being a misreading makes sense as well.  :-\

Thanks again for your post!
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Clonanny would be in Portarlington Co Laois.
Sometimes spelling is Clonany.
===
Jack

Offline ndfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 21:14 BST (UK) »

townland:    acres:          barony:     civil parish:       poor law union:      county:       
Clonanny    418           Portnahinch       Lea                Mountmellick        Queens (Laois)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
Could it be Conahy?Wouldn't be a million miles from the Laois border.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline ndfoster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 01:51 BST (UK) »
Clonanny people would have been baptized about two miles away at Killenard (St Michael's RC) in Portarlington parish.
Could Kilkenny have been a misread of Killenard?
That would take care of all the discrepancies.