Author Topic: CAVAN - Adams and McCullough  (Read 9906 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAVAN - Adams and McCullough
« on: Tuesday 09 April 13 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have no experience of trying to search records in Ireland and wondered if someone could help me.

On my tree, I have a couple who emigrated to New Zealand but who were from County Cavan.

A Matilda McCullough and a William Adams, and I have found some details for them on another tree in Ancestry

Would there be any record surviving of a possible marriage for them in Bailieboro 16th Dec 1851

The Matilda McCullough may have been born/baptised in Bailieboro 17th Nov 1834

The William Adams may have been born/baptised in Durnaskea, Cootehill, Cavan about 1815

I am waiting to see if the owner of the other tree on Ancestry will contact me, but would be grateful for any advice you may have in trying to search for them.

Kind Regards

Morris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: CAVAN - Adams and McCullough
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage on the Irish BMD Index on FamilySearch :

Name : William Adams
  Record Type: Marriage
  Year : 1851
  Registration District: Bailieborough
  Volume : 1 / Page: 538

A 'Matilda Mccullough' appears with the same references (district, year, volume & page), so a possible bride.

Since this is a civil marriage record before 1864, it suggest that the couple were non-Catholic. For notes on ordering a cert with further details of the marriage - see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

and : Introduction to Irish Records

p.s. There's also an extracted version of the marriage on FamilySearch which gives a date, and confirms the couples names, and some of the other details - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCQ-G31
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.

I had not realised that the statutory records for marriage started as early as 1851.

From what I read in the links, does that mean that any births for 1817 or 1834 which preceed statutory records, and might only be in parish records at that time, because they are probably not Catholic or Church of Ireland would no longer exist ?

Regards

Morris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
From what I read in the links, does that mean that any births for 1817 or 1834 which preceed statutory records, and might only be in parish records at that time, because they are probably not Catholic or Church of Ireland would no longer exist ?

Depends on the denomination and possibly which church they attended.

The Church of Ireland parish for the town of Bailieborough and immediate area is also called Bailieborough, and it looks like baptisms are available back to 1824, marriages to 1809, death/burials back to 1809.

The term parish only applies to RC and Church of Ireland churches, other denominations used different systems.

As far as I can see there were two Presbyterian congregations in or near Bailieborough - 1st and 2nd, but only see mention of baptisms going back to 1861.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
....because they are probably not Catholic or Church of Ireland would no longer exist ?

dont quite get this part or your reply.... the marriage was non-Catholic, so probably a Protestant Ceremony - e.g. Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist etc

The other option for a marriage civil registered before 1864 is one in a registry office.

A marriage cert would give the name and denomination of the church, and also current residences for the bride and groom which could help the search. E.g.  using Griffith's valuation, and Tithe records...
My Surname Interests

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks

The marriage in 1851 was Presbyterian, and the births/baptisms in 1817 and 1834, pre-statutory records, might only be in church records

The link you sent 'Introduction to Irish Records - Church Records'   mentions Catholic Records and Church of Ireland Records ...but nothing about Presbyterian Records, which was why I asked whether such early church records still existed for that denomination ? 

I'm sorry if I did not express myself as clearly as I should have.

Thank you for your help

Regards

Morris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
sorry - didn't see a mention of them being Presbyterian before.

The help topic only mentions RC and CofI records as these were the two more common denominations, and so seem to be slightly better documentation as to what is available.

The best places for Presbyterian records would be in Belfast either in the PRONI, or the Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland also has many records, but neither have actual records online. The Historical Society do have a list of congregations on their website - which can help : Search Congregations

My source for the dates available for Presbyterian records was Ryan's Irish Records, but worth following up in case there are earlier records elsewhere (The ones he details may just be the dates in local custody).
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
The William Adams may have been born/baptised in Durnaskea, Cootehill, Cavan about 1815

wonder this might be an alternate spelling for the townland of Dernaskeagh, which is located about 10km west of the town of Cootehill.

My Surname Interests

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 April 13 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

I have contacted PRONI in Belfast to see if they may hold any Presbyterian Church Records for County Cavan for the period.

I'll let you know if I have any sucess. The two people are on several family trees on Ancestry, and I may be able to assist a number of others if I have any luck with the search.

Thanks again for the advice

Morris