Author Topic: Bastardy Bonds during World War One  (Read 1380 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Bastardy Bonds during World War One
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Afternoon

I have a query regarding bastardy bonds and whether they, or a similar system, were in place during World War One

You see my great-grandmother was already married and had produced four children by 1916. Nine months after her husband had left for war, my grandfather was conceived. Under what circumstances is unknown.

Would she have been able to get the father to provide support for my grandfather ,and if she did try to claim support for him, how would she have gone about it?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Bonds during World War One
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for that link. A very useful site I will definitely be referring back to.

In the case of my great-grandmother, I'm assuming she would have needed to make a claim at a court collection office. As there was a war on, where would such an office be situated? I.e. local town or county town?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Do you have your grandfathers birth certificate?
Does it say that your gt grandmothers husband was not the father?
Could your Gt Gt grandfather have been at home at the time of conception?
Have you checked his military records?
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
Morning

Yes I have my grandfathers birth certificate and it lists my assumed great-grandfather as the father. However the informant was not my great-grandmother, so the person who registered the birth for her may not have known the truth.

My great-grandfathers war record did not survived the fire at the war office. However I know what regiment he was assigned to (1/4 East Kent Regiment) and that he would have left with them in February 1916 for the middle east. My grandfather was not conceived until November 1916.

Further to the above, photos of the family show my grandfather has none of his assumed fathers features which are prominent in his other siblings

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
1/4th Battn
" The Division was broken up on arrival in Bombay. Joined Mhow Brigade in 5th (Mhow) Division. August 1915 to Aden Brigade. January 1916 to India and 7th Meerut Divisional Area. July 1918 to Lahore in 16th (Indian) Division."

I would not assume your grandmother gave birth to a child that was not her husbands, on looks alone, or the fact someone else registered him.
You need to try and find out if her husband was sent home injured. Maybe look at the regiments listed above....
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Ignore me! I being daft!!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
 ;D