Author Topic: Old Church in Hensingham, Whitehaven  (Read 49550 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Old Church in Hensingham, Whitehaven
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 17 December 11 00:47 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of the interior of St John's Old Church just before it was demolished.  It is a Christmas postcard and says on the reverse : "From all the family. This is Hensingham Old Church but it is pulled down now. The new one is getting built so when you come back you will see a great change".

Clearly,

Although you do not give any date on the postcard would I be somewhere close to the mark in guessing this might be from December 1911?  The foundation stone for the 'new' St John's, Hensingham was laid by the Countess of Lonsdale on 7 November 1911 (see Photograph No. 3 below).

For comparison to the 'old' St John's Church, Hensingham the other photograph below (No 1) shows the interior of the 'new' St John's as it was in 2011, the centenary year.

@ Jos
The postcard has not been through the post and I assume has been included with a letter or inside a Christmas present so there is no date.  I am very grateful to you for posting the 1911 info which narrows the date down to 1910-11.  Many Thanks

I have a collection of 100-year-old photos of 270 out of 360 Cumbria Parish Churches.  If anyone would like a copy of their favourite church please send me a PM and I will oblige.

Chester

Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline YankeeGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 04 July 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm working on a documentary on WWI and I'm looking for Whitehaven photos. Anyone have any high res photos I can use?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

YankeeGirl

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 11 July 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Good day and welcome to the forum, Yankee Girl.

What is the subject of the documentary you are working on about Whitehaven in WW1 please? Is it for an American TV company?

Obviously it will depend on the subject you are researching as to whether specific photographs are likely to be any use. It might be worth your while to contact the following:

(a) The Whitehaven News with your request (via the letters page)

(b) The Beacon Museum, Whitehaven (they have a lot of WW1 photographs - and probably could supply you with the correct type you seek)

(c) The County Archives Office, Whitehaven (they will also have WW1 related photographs).

Obviously with (b) and (c) there will be a small fee for copying the relevant photographs. This may not be a problem for you as they will probably also supply the story behind the photograph.

Best wishes

Jos

Offline YankeeGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 11 July 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jos,

Thanks for the welcome and for responding.

My documentary is hopefully going to get worldwide distribution.

I'm looking for background pictures to play with the voiceover of a Whitehaven soldier speaking about what's been going on with him and the group of "marras" he's stationed with. So ideally I'd love to get photos of Whitehaven and residents during the war.

Thanks again,

YankeeGirl

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 04 July 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
How do I find out a burial in the old St John's graveyard? I am looking for the grave of an Elizabeth Cooper age 5 yrs old who died Jan qtr of 1865. Address would have been E.Side Road, Hensingham.
Her parents were George and Hannah Cooper.

I appreciate any insight as the family had moved to 39 Main Street by 1871.

Offline Babsrennoldson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 20 December 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi I notice you are researching the Lowther and Miller family from Hensingham I have these in my Family tree. A Jane Lowther marrying a Joseph Parkin Miller