Author Topic: Claygate and Thornithwaite  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
  • ...and so, will someone when I am dead and gone wr
    • View Profile
Re: Claygate and Thornithwaite
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 06:16 BST (UK) »
I did check your link (thanks) and I did not find a connection in Gretna Green.
I did see a FHL scotland site that mentioned a 1761 marriage to William Graham and Agnes Armstrong in Perth (spelling?) however the year was wrong as the clerk in the canonbie parish did not say the children born/baptised before the Perth marriage date were illegitamate in his records.
Laure (France);
Graham (Cumberland, England/Grahamsfield, Scotland), Taylor (Orkney);
Rogan, Johnston, McKinney, Irwin, Hamilton (Ireland);
Masters (Wiltshire, England).
Houldsworth (Sheffield, Middlesex)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:39 BST (UK) »
I did check your link (thanks) and I did not find a connection in Gretna Green.
I did see a FHL scotland site that mentioned a 1761 marriage to William Graham and Agnes Armstrong in Perth (spelling?) however the year was wrong as the clerk in the canonbie parish did not say the children born/baptised before the Perth marriage date were illegitamate in his records.

Um, that marraige might still be worth checking out. Maybe William and Agnes didn't mention that they weren't married when they got the children baptised?  That may also explain them running off and marrying in Perth rather than Canonbie?  :-\ Of course it may be a completely different couple marrying in Perth ...  :-\

Offline Ronbucks

• RootsChat Member
  • The Lion Rampant;The Flag Of The Kings Of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Razzy,

The IGI if I remember also had a couple of marriages for a William Graham to bride surname Armstrong in Canonbie. Worth checking out as Agnes was possibly a name she just preffered.

Ron
Brown, Easson, Baird, Wilkie, Winton, Minto, Devine, Hill, Porter, Bruce, Halket, Martin, Watson, Devine, Galloway, Fernie, Abercrombie, Skirving, Hunter, Aitken, McNair, Wishart, Tyrie, Smith, Fairweather, McLean, De Palma, Hastings, Russell, Christie, McDead, Gartshore, Chalmers, Fyall, Anderson

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have my computer up and running again (finally), and would like to know if there have been any new information on this thread.
Also I am not sure what I can learn from whether Agnes just preferred the surname Armstrong. Whether she was a farm servant,
had no known father, parents died, or ?

Thanks,Razzy
Laure (France);

Offline Razzy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 March 11 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I need to bring this post up again as I need help to confirm my research and find the answers so I can carry further.
I have realized (since I am from across the pond) that in this area of Dumfrieshire the Jacobites and Coventers were duking it out with the possibility of church records being lost or destroyed(?).
Realizing Roots family living alot closer to this area than myself would be way more knowledgable as well as historians, genealogists, and there could be more new information that I am not aware of since my computer shut me down for six months.

Any help, please?

Razzy
Laure (France);