Author Topic: 51 OTU Cranfield, Mosquito Intruder training 13/4/43  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 51 OTU Cranfield, Mosquito Intruder training 13/4/43
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 April 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Having come back to look at this subject after a period of years I am wondering if the man identified by Tom Thorne as BG Taylor AFC was in fact Ronald George Taylor AFC (37578), gazetted Flt Lt. April 1940, temp squadron leader Sep 1941 temporary wing commander 18/1/1944 with seniodity from 1/7/1943 which would conincide with a posting to 605 squadron after the OTU course. He was transferred to the reserve list in November 1944 as a temp. w/cdr.

It would be interesting to know the names, initials and RAF numbers of the other men in these photos.

Best,

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline 605squadron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:21 BST (UK) »
Dear All

Sadly I think the Aldworth in the top photo and Mulcair in the 2nd photo are F/Sgt Richard George Aldworth and P/O Kevin Joseph Mulcair (RCAF) who were lost on January 10th 1944 when they failed to return from one of the first operational sorties of the new year with 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron. The two young men, Aldworth who was only 20 years old and Mulcair who one year his senior were never found and both are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial on panels 215 and 252 respectively.

Very sorry to hear the news re Pip Orringe, I had always wondered what became of him.

He and Wag were a superb team!

Kind regards

Ian
605 Squadron

Offline 605squadron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there i have just found this site while trying to find out some info about my Grandad "PIP" Eric Orringe.Came acroos the pictures of the squadron and if anyone could get in touch by e-mail or would be willing to ring my mum,his eldest daughter Gillian,please leave a posting here and i will then forward contact details. Hope someone can help,sincerely Cheryl. :)

Hi Cheryl

My name is Ian Piper and I am the historian for 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron who Pip served with.

I would love to help in any way I can.

Kind regards, Ian

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the information on Aldworth and Mulcair.

Can you shed any light on the identity of the name of the Sqn/Ldr Taylor on this course? Is it Ronald G Taylor? and does his posting to 605 squadron match with the dates?

Many thyanks for your help,

Best,

Howard
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline 605squadron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Howard

According to my records Pip Orringe did join 605 with a S/Ldr Taylor:

"Another fine crew joined the Squadron in early July when S/Ldr Taylor AFC and F/O E.T. "Pip" Orringe became the latest recruits. Pip was soon known by the nickname "Beauvais Orringe" due to his continued inability to locate that particular occupied airfield. His plight was made all the worse by a rather sweeping and misguided statement he made to the Squadron Navigation Officer "You can't teach me anything about map reading", which was overheard by some of the men."

Kind regards, Ian

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian,

The point I am trying to establish is whether the Sqn Ldr Taylor in the photo is Ronald G Taylor and not BG Taylor as listed by Tom Thorne in the documentation from the records at High Ercall. This seems most likely to be the case and might enable a search for any relatives he might have. I just wondered if the documentation for 605 squadron gave more detailed information on his christian name.

Best,

Howard

Offline twinwoods

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 August 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
I have just been directed to this forum by Ian Piper. My father was Pip Orringe and I followed his career into the RAF as a pilot in 1963.  His death in the Hastings at Abingdon in 1953 led me to follow a career in flight safety. The accident was apparently caused by the mechanical elevator trim tab gust lock being left in and missed on the pre-departure check.  The aircraft took off in this condition and crashed back onto the airfield.
I have sent Ian some photographs and will be pleased to share these with any 605 Squadron enthusisasts and particularly with relatives of Alan Wagner. Father gave me the middle name of Alan in memory of his skipper - oddly enough I never acquired the nickname Pip!.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 August 10 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Twinwoods,

I was very interested to see your posting.

Family legend says that Eric and my wife's dad were keen rivals. I got the impression from her mum that she was not especially liking of Eric, I suspect because of his enormous self-confidence and self-belief.

She told us that Laurie Bush was a bit miffed when he was "pipped at the  post" by Eric for the honour of best student on the Navigation School at Cranwell and that therefore Eric had the honour of carrying the "sword of honour" at the passing out parade.

I don't know whether you have any photos or other information from your father that might confirm this.

Best regards,

Howard

Offline mattm1970

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 November 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to contact Ian Piper regarding my Grandfather - Capt Tarkowski - a Polish Pilot who flew in 605 in 1940.

Could somebody please pass on my email address mattm1970@hotmail.com to him ?

Many thanks