Author Topic: Greenlaw M.I. & Census  (Read 16134 times)

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenlaw M.I. & Census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 11 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thats OK.  I was at the opening of the town Hall in the presence of Prince charles, quite an honour.
Your ancestor would be very proud to see it back to its former glory.

;)
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 November 11 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Could you tell me if there are any records for Houliston (or variations) in the MIs please?
Grateful thanks,
Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
In memory of JAMES HOULISTON  who died at Darnchester 1.3.1879 aged72 yrs.  also MARGARET HOULISTON his wife who died at Humebank 29.6.1888 aged 72 yrs.  Also AGNES HOULISTON their daughter who died at Manorhill 18.10.1897 aged 59 years.

Erected by THOMAS MILLER in memory of MARGARET HOULISTON his wife who died 16.1.1832 aged 55? yrs

Memento Mori   MARIANNE HOULISSTSON spouse of JOHN PARKER sometime Minister of the Gospel in the Associate Congregation of Greenlaw  died 11.2.1814 aged 44 yrs.  ELIZABETH HOULISTON her sister died at Hallyburton 22.11.1825 aged 66 yrs.  Also the Rev. John Parker who died 12.11.1836 in his 80th year.

That is the 3 stones in Greenlaw Cemetery.   I have a james Housliston in my Family Tree, who married Lizzaie baxter.   
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 November 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for looking up the names for me. No obvious connection I can see, but it was worth a try. My Houlsitons were in the Lauder/Gordon/Greenlaw area in the 1700s. Interesting MI about the minister of the Associate Congregation. I have never heard of that religion, maybe it was early Congregationalists.
Once again thanks,
Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 November 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Christina Gray was born at Greenlaw, about 1807, she married John Chrnside, 21 Aug 1830, and their daughter, Agnes Chrnside, was born 26 June 1831, all at Greenlaw.  Could you please let me know, are there any burials at Greenlaw with the surnames Gray or Chirnside?  Thank you.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 November 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh, also a mysterious death of a young man occurred at Greenlaw:  Joseph Clazie died, 18 May 1823. 

A cemetery inscription at Chirnside includes him: one stone with five names, including his parents, Helen Kerr and James Clezie, followed by:

Also Joseph Clezie their Son
who died May 18th 1823 Aged
23 Years

But his baptism was at Fogo on 20 July 1803, so that would make him only 20 instead of 23 when he died - unless he was already 3 at the time of baptism.  Either way, he was young.  How to explain such an early death?  A farming accident?  A fight over a girl? 
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 November 11 23:39 GMT (UK) »
He probably died from TB which hit most families.   I know of several close relatives still dying young from the dreadful disease in the early 20th century.

I looked up the Greenlaw MI for your Grays and Chirnside.  No suitable connections although there is quite a few Grays buried in Greenlaw. 

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 November 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Just realised that James Clazy and Helen Kerr are buried in Chirnside.  They are also my Gt? grand parents.  Thanks for the info.  Is it a worn stone and hard to find?   

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 02:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry... haven't checked these posts for some time so I didn't see your question. The stone for Helen Kerr and family is located fairly close to the church, towards the rear.  That is all I can remember.  Not especially difficult to find but really no way for me to give you directions.  There are so many stones!